Socket AM3 and DDR3?

joe pic said:
AM3?? kill me!

i'll have 939 for a while
i agree, when i first got my job, thats when the 64 bit amd line came out, i got me a KILLER MSI board, and a 754 chip. I thought it was the shit! but i sold it now, and now ill be wiht 939 for quite some time. :p

AMD's Socket AM2 to support Socket AM3 CPUs. AMD's Socket AM3 processor interconnect will be forwards compatible with Socket AM2, allowing today's AM2-based boards to host AM3-equipped CPUs, the chip maker has revealed. That said, AM3 mobos will not, apparently, accept AM2 processors.

Yeah, AM2 is forward-compatible with AM3 processors, which is a good thing for those who aren't ready to upgrade. For those who are using AM3 motherboards, it's understandable for AMD to lock them out of backwards compatability, because you want them to use what is current and new. Sooner or later, AM2 will be phased out. :rolleyes:

Lol, I found this on another forum in regards to AMD's fast changing technology:

"The AM2's are dead now they have been replaced by the AM4's. By the time you finish reading this the AM8's will be out and the AM16's will be in production!
If you could produce a product that the consumer wanted to replace every other week wouldn't you?"

Haha, props to the author of that post. :D So true. That's what I like about Intel..unlike AMD, they don't switch sockets like every two years or so. :rolleyes:

*GASP* Now AM32's are out! :eek:

Awhile back AMD was having trouble reaching the speeds it want to achieve at the voltages it wanted on the upcoming 65nm process. The 1.4v operation is not a problem, and were told the first generation of 65nm parts are set for 1.35v, so if they had to go up to 1.4, well it is not a problem worth noting. (1.4^2)/(1.35^2) ~= 1.075, or about an 8% increase.

With that in mind, AMD already have plans for the new 65nm coming out early next year that will dramatically drop voltage and wattage consumed, leading to quad core parts that are on track for the speeds and power AMD promised. Basically, what it comes down to is AMD says they will deliver 65nm parts on time, on power, and in quantity. It looks like AMD appears to be in much better shape than everyone thought. Could be another Intel vs AMD confrontation as they go neck and neck again.

Back
Top Bottom