The thread of no meaning..

G35x said:
Whats with all the alienware adds lol, its like those are the only ones we have now, but Im not complaining, computer place, computer adds.

I havent seen them where are they?

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. Would this make my desk a work station?

Is it true cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Why do people devote their lives to becoming famous, then do everything they can to avoid people?

Why do you need a driver's license to buy liquor when you can't drink and drive?

mmm...

Tommy Boy said:
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?

Park in the sense of tended greenery and park in the sense of stowing your vehicle, though deriving from the same root, diverged in meaning long ago. In Old French, a parc was an enclosure. To this day a military park means an area where vehicles are stored and serviced. As early as 1812 there was a verb "to park," meaning to store one's howitzers in a military park. This carried over to carriages and ultimately to any sort of vehicle. Our notion of landscaped parks, meanwhile, derives from the medieval practice of enclosing game preserves for the use of the aristocracy. The term was later applied to the grounds around a country estate, then to royal parks in London to which the proles were grudgingly admitted, and finally to any landscaped public grounds. The idea of enclosure is still evident in expressions like "ball park," for an enclosed playing field. Any more questions, smart stuff?

Tommy Boy said:
If a tree falls in the forest and noone is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

No, it does not. I will explain this bizzare conclusion

First, to pacify the scientists, yes, I understand that the laws of physics are more or less constant regardless of whether anyone is around or not. I do realize that a tree falling causes its fibers to stretch, snap, and create a tiny explosion that compresses and expands the air around it- rippling it outwards omni-directionally. And yes, an ear's tympanic cavity would detect these ripples, pass them through sensory neurons and be interpreted- for all intents and purposes, what we call sound.

However, the question is not whether these events take place, the question is clearly whether if no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound? You may be getting ahead of me with your own conflicting statements, already contradicting what I have not even said yet. Bear with me for just a little longer.

This is an exercise of philosophy, rather than of exact state. But that is not to say; all logic and reason should be discarded. Just take it for what it is- an event with no witness. I argue that such an event does not even happen without first hand experience. Even if we were to stroll through the forest after it has fallen and view the tree's remains scattered on the ground, and imagine as clear as our capacities would allow, the events that transpired- it still is not enough to say it has been heard.

Still, I cannot even fully envelope the feeling as a whole. I doubt this piece has made its point. So it will simply serve as a reminder to myself and those who can distance themselves from their immediate reality..

Ronco Rox said:
i get those and the uncle sam one thats like "I Want You To Take This Survery" lmao
Haha. I get the alienware ones.

Tommy Boy said:
If a tree falls in the forest and noone is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
I suppose it still makes a sound wave..... atleast thats what I always thought.

Spec said:
No, it does not. I will explain this bizzare conclusion

First, to pacify the scientists, yes, I understand that the laws of physics are more or less constant regardless of whether anyone is around or not. I do realize that a tree falling causes its fibers to stretch, snap, and create a tiny explosion that compresses and expands the air around it- rippling it outwards omni-directionally. And yes, an ear's tympanic cavity would detect these ripples, pass them through sensory neurons and be interpreted- for all intents and purposes, what we call sound.

However, the question is not whether these events take place, the question is clearly whether if no one is around to hear it- does it make a sound? You may be getting ahead of me with your own conflicting statements, already contradicting what I have not even said yet. Bear with me for just a little longer.

This is an exercise of philosophy, rather than of exact state. But that is not to say; all logic and reason should be discarded. Just take it for what it is- an event with no witness. I argue that such an event does not even happen without first hand experience. Even if we were to stroll through the forest after it has fallen and view the tree's remains scattered on the ground, and imagine as clear as our capacities would allow, the events that transpired- it still is not enough to say it has been heard.

Still, I cannot even fully envelope the feeling as a whole. I doubt this piece has made its point. So it will simply serve as a reminder to myself and those who can distance themselves from their immediate reality..

So for example, you walk by a rock that has been broken into several pieces.. nobody can honestly say that it fell off of a cliff or someone else just broke it them selves.. because nobody witnessed it?

MikeReiner said:
So for example, you walk by a rock that has been broken into several pieces.. nobody can honestly say that it fell off of a cliff or someone else just broke it them selves.. because nobody witnessed it?

Yup.

Yeah Spec has it pretty much down there, it was one of the old simply philosophy exercises, in awareness of place in time etc.

Another one they used to throw at you was if you walk past a red post box, is it still red when it is behind you?

Its all about perception of state, and the entity receiving it, for example it could be through sound waves or through the vibrations of the tree falling, how it is percieved is down to the entity.

Spec said:
Park in the sense of tended greenery and park in the sense of stowing your vehicle, though deriving from the same root, diverged in meaning long ago. In Old French, a parc was an enclosure. To this day a military park means an area where vehicles are stored and serviced. As early as 1812 there was a verb "to park," meaning to store one's howitzers in a military park. This carried over to carriages and ultimately to any sort of vehicle. Our notion of landscaped parks, meanwhile, derives from the medieval practice of enclosing game preserves for the use of the aristocracy. The term was later applied to the grounds around a country estate, then to royal parks in London to which the proles were grudgingly admitted, and finally to any landscaped public grounds. The idea of enclosure is still evident in expressions like "ball park," for an enclosed playing field. Any more questions, smart stuff?
Lol...where'd you get that to? :p

Spec said:
haha...did you read my post? i explained how it doesnt..ye si know very confusing, but most people will understand :) god my fingers hurt from typing that out..
holy crap, I edited it after reading that post.. this thread is moving fast.. look at the first page.

I should literally be a chinese fortune teller guy, who answers questions for a living.

Back
Top Bottom