Virgin Broadband

renegadeandy

In Runtime
Hi! I suppose only UK members can help me here.

Looking for a good ADSL ISP for the UK with a flatmate,

we can support up to 8mbps line and we need unmetered , no so bandwidth limits and not tiscali as they are very shoddy.

Any ideas?

Currently this is my first choice:

http://www.virgin.net/internetaccess/broadband/planone/

What you lot think, are they good, fast for gaming?

Thanks

Andy

Go herez0rz: http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

You'll find ADSL sucks balls as a general rule - good luck finding one that has unlimited downloads and no traffic shaping (check Virgin's small print just to be sure) - most ISPs are throttling BitTorrent these days, because they're fighting on BT's Medieval phone network, or if they're LLU the technology just ain't up to it.

Guess who's got Tiscali... ME! Sickening, calling them "shoddy" is being polite beyond all description. They're going at the end of the contract unless I can bully them into cancelling early... But yeah, that Virgin deal looks good.

Failing that, the John Honey Building's still open.

hey mate! not spoken to you in ages... cat saw ya last week walking near Home House at like 9ish or something

we need some more serious lannage this year! Wot have u done in the holidays.

Ye ADSL does eat shit, but i have no other option and john honey buildings a small trek - but shall still be used for the odd torrent if u catch my piratical drift.

Renegadeandy said:
hey mate! not spoken to you in ages... cat saw ya last week walking near Home House at like 9ish or something

we need some more serious lannage this year! Wot have u done in the holidays.

Ye ADSL does eat shit, but i have no other option and john honey buildings a small trek - but shall still be used for the odd torrent if u catch my piratical drift.

Yeah, I was out visiting somebody i.e. getting maths tutoring :mad:

Done bugger all this summer... except get more pissed with this here broadband. Tiscali's fantastic, I thoroughly recommend them... if you want ripped off, Torrents running at <1k, crappy Indian tech support who tell you to clear your cookies if your modem won't sync, getting about 20% of your max speed 24/7... I love them, really. I'm never switching.

Gaming ain't an option either. But we need lannage because, again, Tiscali eats shit and spoonfeeds it to its customers.

As lannage goes, my shitey broadband is the main reason I'm not getting a 360 just yet. Me get new ISP in June when Tiscali contract goes (if they let me leave without me sueing them), then there'll be Jolly Roger and proper gaming!

Hahaha good man!

Lannage in St-Andrews is a definite option in the meantime also - oh and also trying to haxzorz our way around the bloody resnet connection into geting you all the ports TCP has to offer :D

Not ASDL but you might wanna try NTL as part of the cable package, as standard now you get a 4meg download 512k upload, have had it here at my ex's for a while now, and never had any problems.

Other then that, Pipex is meant to be hitting the speeds these days, with 8meg available, with quite a reliable service, shame bulldog hit the dirt because my mate had it for a year and never got a single bill, not surprising they went bust really.

Renegadeandy said:
omg! hmm, no NTL isnt available in the KY16 area i dont think.

Ok what about Telewest??? As NTL have taken over Telewest or Telewest have taken over NTL, one or the other, but if you can get cable tv, then its going to be one or the other but in reality the same thing....

I think telewest wouldve taken over NTL - and no , again that is DSL, its going to have to be ADSL.

Since virgin you have no contract - i will try them for a month! Thanks guys!

argh no i wont they have a cancellation fee of £50 and a limit of 20gb a month on their unlimitied !!!!

ARGH, any ideas anyone!?

Back
Top Bottom