Will partitioning help speed?

cbachinger

In Runtime
My specs are Pentium M centrino, 1.6 Ghz, 1GB memory, 40GB HDD.

My network connections take a long time to load at bootup.

Will a partition of my drive speed up the process?

It's a known fact that putting the OS on a seperate partition will be more faster and stable, and having another partition for let's say your programs & music & whatever.

once your have your OS on it's own partition, you'll want to defrag it once every 3-months or so to keep it in top shape. it's good to use a cleaner like cc cleaner or system mechanic to clean up old outdated files too.

Even if I do this when I have a fully running PC with saved games and programs etc., will creating a partition affect anything?

Not at all, infact.. you can have as many partitions as you want, giving the fact you have enough space on your hhd.you can have like up to 30 partitions on a 120 to 160gig hhd. but i would'nt get carried away with making too many of them. all you need is maybe 4 or five of them, and you should be all set.

i have on one of my pc's, five partitions set up like this:

1st partition has Windows xp on it. 2nd partition has all my music on it.3rd partititon has all my downloads in it, in their zipped form. 4th partition has all my documents sorted by multiple folders. and the 5th partition has all my video games on it.

the partitions will show up in my computer like this:
(C) local drive (L) music (M) Down loads (N) Documents (O) video games

so there's an example of my setup, hope that helps.

well to be honest here, i did'nt use a program to make my partitions on my hhd. i used the windows cd that came with the computer. instead of installing a windows i just made multiple partitions with the option.

The cd's i have were the windows install/restore and the other was the cd with the driver's & apps. the driver's cd if booted gave an option to make partitions.

I have a XP Setup CD... and when I reformatted I just deleted the old XP partition, and put XP in the unpartitioned space, but can I make a new partition without screwing up my current XP one? Like making one for games or whatever now, with the XP cd?

yes, you could just make another partition on the unpartitioned space as long as it the space permits. and yes, once a partititon is made , it does need to be formatted, so that windows will be able to read & write to it.

Yes but if I make a partition, do I need to reformat all of the hard drive that all my files are currently on?

Weird, Windows 200 won't accept more than 3 partitions...after that, random crash...let it be boot file missing or BSOD on boot.

Back
Top Bottom