CMOS error

linux_fan

Solid State Member
Whenever i boot my computer i get a message like this:

CMOS Checksum error - press F1 to continue and load default settings.

I pressed F1 and my pc loaded up fine but now the date and time has changed but wont stay after i restart my pc and the printer driver needs re-installing.

I have everything messed up, how can i fix this.

have you tried changing the date in the bios instead? that might solve your time issue.

if not you can try to take out the battery on your motherboard for about 30 minutes, then reinstall it and then boot and see if that solves your problems after a reboot or two.

Yeah, or, if your motherboard has a CMOS clear header, which is a jmumper, this will quickly wipe the battery, without having to take it out.

Check the motherboard manual if you have it, but it should be near the battery if you haven't got that at hand, and should be labelled in small lettering.

All you'd have to do is move the header to the next position, and then switch it back.

Shut the system down and turn off the PSU from the kill switch or just unplug it. Take the battery out and rub it clean with a soft cloth. Put it back like you found it. Boot to the bios and set it back up like you had it. Save and exit. Let it finish booting the os. Reboot. If you get the same error the odds are the battery is weak. Replace with same type and part number.
Oh and make sure the reset jumper is in the run position. If left in the clear position you will get this error.

setishock said:
Shut the system down and turn off the PSU from the kill switch or just unplug it. Take the battery out and rub it clean with a soft cloth. Put it back like you found it. Boot to the bios and set it back up like you had it. Save and exit. Let it finish booting the os. Reboot. If you get the same error the odds are the battery is weak. Replace with same type and part number.
Oh and make sure the reset jumper is in the run position. If left in the clear position you will get this error.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I am going to try everything one by one until something works. I am sure something wil.

I have already tryed changing the date in BIOS, but it works while the oc is on and if i restart the time will go wrong.

I suspect i have a weak CMOS battery because the mobo cant hold my settings and my internet history is not being recorded.

Bloodstalker999 said:
It sounds like to me that your battery is dead if you have a dmm i would check if it still has life

yeah replace the battery, they're fairly cheap.

Back
Top Bottom