First Build help

DopeaLope

Solid State Member
Hey I recently came here asking questions about how my ASUS M2N-E motherboard wouldn't turn on and how I was having problems with it, well, I replaced it and now I have a new problem.

I have one short beep, then five short beeps a little while after, this sequence does not repeat and ASUS says that that beep code isn't programmed, meaning it shouldn't be doing what it's doing. Anyone able to shed some light? I really don't want to send it in again...

ASUS M2N-E
Mushikin 1 gig (2X512)
Geforce 6800 Xtreme
AMD Athlon 64 3800+

you check everything is plugged in right? all power chords, video card, ram, cd rom or dvd rom?

yeah, I plug it into my monitor and it works for a little bit, but i'm not completely sure on what to do, i say "f1" to go into set up but it just freezes.

It also says that my CPU fan is too slow, does anyone know how to fix that?

Edit-Fixed the fan, but now when I turn it on it doesn't show anything on the monitor.

Well on my pc I have access the BIOS to change the fan speed, but if yourhaving problems with it freezing when your accessing the BIOS try seeing ASUS offer any software for changin the speed of your fan from an OS. However i doubt this, as most MOBO are locked these days. My old laptop kept freezing due to overheating, so try opening up your machine (dont touch anything inside),* power it on (dont power it on after it has just frozen, let the CPU cool for a while). Then try going into BIOS, where there might be somthing like a HardWare monitor, which will let you choose the fan speed. Then save and exit.

*I say open it up to let the heat out, try putting it in a cool face, maybe put a desk fan by it (not pointing straight into the machine though - put it at a angle).

Try looking on the manufactors website on how to access and edit the BIOS

Hope this help
;)

Hmm, I tihnk you should find a replacement motherboard. It seems somethings wrong there, and that remark came from Asus!

There is always a simple fix for PC's, and in your case, it'll be something unfixable, and just replaceable.

The guy at Asus said he wasn't really sure. But I found the beep was because my CPU fan wasn't running at the right speed, because i had it in the wrong power socket thing. I put it in the correct one, and no more beeping. Just the only thing is the screen is blank, is there any way I can reset everything? It was just working, so I know it's not broken, when I tried to install windows it froze and stopped, probably because my CPU was overheating.

Thanks for all the help guys, it's really cool knowing with my limited knowledge of this stuff I can come here to find help.

You could try resetting the BIOS as you may have caused a problem when you were messing around :p

Open up the computer, and check your motherboard manual for a CMOS clear header.

its basically a bit of plastic that goes over connections to start or stop something happening, and you'll find its in the standard position. To clear it, you'd move it to the next set of connections and the BIOS's memory will wipe, allowing you to start at default settings.

If you don't have that, I'm afraid the hard route is to take out that big BIOS battery, and keep it out for a while. Then put it back, and try it.

All new motherboards should have the CMOS clear header though, so check for it. It'll be near the battery if its there, and labelled in small lettering most likely.

I hope this helps.

Amazing, I know what you mean, and i'm in class right now and I will try it when I get home, do I do change it while no power is running, and then turn it on? Or does it matter?

First off find out what that beep means, do a google on it. Second off ensure that the extra 4 pin power to the socket and CPU are plugged in DOUBLE CHECK CONNECTIONS! if not unplug everything and do just a cpu, mobo boot up if that fails then you know the problem liesin the mobo/cpu.

Back
Top Bottom