I need help!

mike080013

Baseband Member
im building a computer with the following specs...Intel Core 2 Extreme, Asus, 2gb of ram (for now), 2 Nvidia Geforce 7950 sli's (4 video cards 512 each = 2 gb), a 160 gb harddrive, an 80gb harddrive, with a 600w power supply...how much cooling do i need so i dont fry it all and lose $3500

please help

Hey, welcome :)

Well, the CPU heatsink that comes with that chip should be fine, but if you don't want to keep with it, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 would even cool the most overclocked Intel Core 2 Extreme easily, and there is ALOT of overclocking potential!

You may want to get silencers for the 2 cards, but I don't know if anyone builds one for that card yet, though they may be rather quiet anyway.

What sort of case are you going for? Or have?

If you tell me, I'll be able to bring other fans into the equation.

Lovely set up by the way :D

oh and motherboard is Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Socket 775, i failed to finish it in my first question i just put asus

Nice :)

Cooling System:
80mm Fans 1 x 80mm Top Fan
120mm Fans 1 x 120mm Blue LED Side Fan
1 x 120mm Blue LED Rear Fan
1 x 120mm Front Fan

80MM:

Right, well for the 80mm top fan, get the Sharkoon Silent Eagle 2000 80mm (Couldn't find it in Newegg). But, its the quietest fan that offers the best performance, and won't be heard in a room, as its below 20 decibels, but can still push around 25CFM which is enough to get rid of the heat (as heat rises, so it'll just help)

120MM:

For the 3 other 120mm fans, your best off again with Sharkoon!
The Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm fan would be perfect. Again, these cannot be heard in a room! Pushing around 40CFM at 19DBa!

A magazine called Custom PC, did tests, and said that they were the best on offer at the moment for peace and quiet, but for best results.

As there is enough fan mounts anyway, getting these 40CFM fans will create a nice bit of airflow all around the vital components, and that CPU runs surprisingly cool :)

No, there not the most powerful 120mm fans available, BUT you'll be surprised how much they'll help since you have alot of fan mounts there, and don't want noisy equivilents filling all of them, and would actually cool components better if you got the same fans, since it'd create a balanced coolig system, with some blowing in/out.

You can be sure also that the steel construction of the case will let out quite a bit of heat too.

Here are images of the fan (ones just bigger than the other), when you manage to find them on an online store or wherever:

Silent Eagle 2000 80mm.
http://www.crazypc.com/images/fans/silenteagle/silenteaglefull.jpg

You can also get the 120mm fan 1000RPM spinning one that glows I believe, if thats what your interested in.

Check here for more details:

http://www.sharkoon.com/

CPU HEATSINK/FAN:

For the CPU cooling like I said, nothing can beat the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 PRO for cooling/noise/price, and like I said, will cool that CPU completly, even with overclocking in mind:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

DIRECTIONS:

For the best cooling, I'd have the back 120mm blowing out, the side 120mm blowing in, the front 120mm blowing in, and the top blowing out.

That way, not 1 component will be restricted of air, since the side ones air would be pushed all around by the ones dragging air out, and so, keeping your system cool.

I hope this helps :)

hey thanks...I will end up getting those fans...

I just wanted some peace of mind...It would suck having those parts fry even before i got to use them

Yeah, things should be fine :)

The CPU doesn't even run that hot. You'll be surprised!

The video cards on the other hand might, but you'll have enough cooling in that case to get rid of it fast.
Most likely, the Powersupply will also have a fan blowing hot air out from the system? This is an important aspect.

You'll want a quiet, but efficent one :)

Then you'll have a quiet and efficent high end PC. Go figure. You'll be surprised :p I hate a noisy PC, and they don't have to be anymore. Even with fans, and no water cooling (something I wouldn't tamper in yet)

TEMPS:

The CPU and Graphics cards will have a built in temp sensor, so you'll be able to check on them, and more than likely, the motherboard will too.

So I wouldn't worry too much!

SOUND:

If you haven't got a sound card, you probably need one. Don't go with onboard thats already on the motherboard. Not if your going to be playing games and listening to music.

Go with the Sound Blaster XI-FI Xtreme Music sound card if your really into audio, or if you just want one that'll do, an Audigy/Audigy 2 wouldn't go amiss, and will be able to process sound itself, than with onboard, where it'll be using extra CPU time, which could be used doing something else.

yeah i was going to stick with the integrated sound for a while but you bring up a great point.

I will go with everything you recommended or I can also, for the cooling, just drill out a large square on the other side of my case and put an air conditioner up to it running at 64 degrees...either way :p

wow ur frekin lucky to have that system! :D i have the same case 2!!! it's a great case so don't worry. I am thinking i am going 2 upgrade the fans in them to the silent egale because temps do seem a bit hot according to the temp display.

Hehe, I just think the Silent Eagles are best. You just can't hear them... yet they cool great for something you can't hear...

For a well designed case, they are definietly best, as it'd have good airflow within it anyway, so you don't need terribly loud and powerful fans to get the most out of it.

Mooseman, what fans you have in them at the moment? Are they just cheap and tacky ones that are probably pushing less than 5CFM or something?

Back
Top Bottom