Signature

root said:
there is no left and right align properties for the signature that can be set...

Um yes their is what are you talking about?
1ah2.jpg

what I meant was that there is no way to make a line aligned in the way that arrizx described at the top of the page.

Code:
hello.....x.....olleh
how.......x.......woh
are.......x.......era
you?......x......?uoy

I don't think that there is any program in the world that can apply that kind of formatting, (left centre and right aligned) on a single line, without breaking the page into three regions. (which means it can't be done in Vbulletin at all), (unless you had three seperate signatures.)

it simply can't be done.(it's impossible, you can't apply three mutually exclusive formats to a single line of text... it can' possibly be left centre and right aligned all at the same time!.

john123 said:
in safe mode i get 1280x1024 :p
well I'll assume that you use XP then, and not windows 98/windows ME/windows 2000 (service packs 1-4).
I'll assume that you're not a linux user who doesn't know how to change resolutionms from the auto set resolution.

I'll also assume that your computer works 100% all the time...

the exact scenario described, (faulty graphics driver) caused a computer I was working on over the weekend to repeatadly crash/restart (it was using the stock radoen 700VE driver that comes with windows (no service pack)).

the problem started after a resolution change, and could only be fixed by restarting in safe mode and disabling the device, then restarting again, (at which point the resolution was 640 * 480...

all I can say is that whilst you may not be able to think of a sitation where someone may be using a lower resolution it doesn't necessarily mean that it doesn't happen.

some people actually prefere to use a lower resolution, (I can list people, such as a woman that I work with (800*600), My parents (1024*768) my grandparents(800*600). etc...
and if in a few seconds I can reel off a list of people that use that res, then there must be hundreds of others.

it's not a large task to ask people to keep their sigs to a minimum so that it doesn't intefere with the content for users who are comming here with serious problems.

a good example is that my sig says absolutly nothing of any value whatsoever. I could write ten lines of non-sense... but (aside from breaking the rules), that wouldn't be very good for the rest of the people here who didn't want to read the random stuff that I had in my sig... especially if they were having problems and my nonsensicle sig ramblings took up half their screen...

anyway... back on subject...
yes, it would be nice to have some formatting fos sigs to make them less intrusive.

i agree with root. if anything the standard for sigs should be no more than 1024 X 768, becomming more standard. I also know quite a few people at work that use 1024 X 768, and it's the coast guards standard set res on a new build. i think smaller text would be nice, if it is at 3 now then 2 or 1 would work for me.

about the centering and stuff, it doesn't really matter to me, if it can't be done so be it. but it might be fesable in a new version of VB

As a standard - for anyone that has over 5 lines on my res - I Pm them and ill ask if it looks like 5 lines on their screen. And if it is then its cool, reugardless if it is on mine on not.

Okay, well still smaller font FTW.

I think my signature is 4 lines when at 1024x768.

I think the default font size should be decreased, and centering/left/right should be enabled. We should still keep some rules and standards over how long signatures can be etc, but I think it would look better if the font was smaller.

Back
Top Bottom