Please evaluate my build anyone?

necro1

Solid State Member
Greetings to all. I have recently been thinking about building a new computer and these are the parts I wish to obtain:

Power Supply: XION XION 500W

CPU: AMD ANTHLON 64 FX-60

Motherboard: JETWAY 939GT4-SLI-G

RAM: PATRIOT 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 433 (PC 3500)

Video Card(s):

Optical Drive(s):

Floppy: MITSUMI FA404M

Hard Drive: WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR 200 GB

Sound Card: SOUND BLASTER X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1

If someone can please look over this and tell me what you think.
Thank you.

Couple of improvements:

Choose an E6600 or E700 (Core 2 Duo) over the FX-60 - they'll be faster and cheaper.

Spend more money on the motherboard, and buy a good brand - both Gigabyte and Asus make good boards for Core 2 Duos.

Get a Samsung Spinpoint P120S 250GB - their extremely fast and extremely quiet.

You'll have to change the RAM for Core 2 Duo - buy some reasonable quality stuff and not the cheapest you can find.

Choose a better power supply - if you choose a dodgy power supply and it blows up, you could loose everything in your PC. You seem to have a lot of money, so consider the Seasonic 500W; you do pay more, but you know that you have a good PSU.

I'd have to say about the samsung spinpoint drives, they are not nearly as trusted of a brand as WD or Seagate. I'm not saying their bad at all, it's just the other drives have a far better reputation.

I'd go with any new SATA II Seagate 7200.10 series drive for the build :)

I agree with DJ-Chris although in my exp I find a HD is a HD regradless of brand, if I can though I like to stick with Seagate or WD the rest are just there if they offer me insanely good deals.

I've read several reviews of Samsung hard drives, and have not been able to read anything bad about them.

4 to 6 people at least have them on the forum I frequent: www.cpcff.co.uk/phpBB2, and if someone asks about a hard drive these ones are always suggested.

Anyway - I've got a Seagate hard drive, and hate it :s

Seagate/Maxtor, Western Digital, Samsung, Hitachi and Toshiba all make very good hard drives. Usually I would recommend Hitachi and Toshibas for more corporate/server builds, because they usually have better SCSI and large capacity drives. Seagate/Maxtor makes some of the best desktop drives, but if you're a speed demon, the Western Digital Raptor is still the fastest in the market (though the 7200.10's aren't that much slower).

How about a E6700, ABIT AW9D-MAX (my new favorite board to recommend;)) Team Group PC-5300 3-3-3-8. Seagate 7200.10 320GB, OCZ GameXstream 600, or PCP&C Silencer 610. Video card if you are into gaming, and optical drives are your choice, i say drop the floppy.

Yeah, no one really uses floppys anymore, unless you like using MS-DOS or you like flashing BIOS's on video cards. :p

Back
Top Bottom