Fried Motherboards

YoTank Girl

Solid State Member
My boss's granddaughter has had two computers that she fried the motherboards on, one 14 months after she got it and the other one 4 months after she got it. Apparantly there is a power problem at their house, if there's a lot of electricity being used and someone opens the garage door, it'll kill the electricity to her room. Could that be what's causing her motherboards to fry? If not both of her computers have been Sony Vaio desktops, have there been many complaints of those computers having bad motherboards?

I'm not aware of any specific complaints about Sony computers. But yes, "dirty" electricity, as they call it, can damage a computer really quick- even on a surge protector. I would recommend obtaining a good UPS, which can be purchased for around a $100.00. I would also have an electrician to check things out, because opening the garage door shouldn't cause her room to loose power.

The only other possible thing could be a bad powersupply. Which wouldnt be too far fetched considering thats more viable of an option then the house really being that crappy wired.

But just like mike said, I would get the electrician to sort things out to narrow down the problems. And even save your house from catching on fire.

Edit-
Unless its really old!

This has to be the funniest post ever..lol. garage door open *BAND* mum you killed my computer again.lol.

You will need a UPS on your system, a good test would be if you plug the PC into another room and open the garage door, lol. See if it goes bang.lol.

It could even be the plug in the wall that might be bad. I think your house must be Built by Dell.lol.

Well, knowing that there's alot of power in your house, I would check your circuit breaker. Seems that your breaker isn't feeding enough power. Like mine, once you power pool pump, the center PC will restart with a low power.

And, the reason why it fried, it's because that too many times does she get a short after this power taken from the door.

My other suggestion would be to switch the garage door to manual. There's nothing wrong with the PC.

In my opinion all you would have to do is put the Garage door on it's own circut breaker keep it seperate from your room. Get your electrician to add another circut breaker to the panel for the Garage door.

joelbeveridge said:
This has to be the funniest post ever..lol. garage door open *BAND* mum you killed my computer again.lol.

You will need a UPS on your system, a good test would be if you plug the PC into another room and open the garage door, lol. See if it goes bang.lol.

It could even be the plug in the wall that might be bad. I think your house must be Built by Dell.lol.

do u always end every sentence u make with 'lol'?

As already suggested the best thing to do would be to get an electrician to find out where the problems is and how to fix it. If this is too expensive u could try moving the computer to another room (preferably far away from the current room)

Thanks for all the replies, one more question though, if she got a laptop would that solve the problem? or would it still risk getting fried on the bad electricity? I'm sure her grandpa would buy her a UPS if thats what she really needs.

Back
Top Bottom