looking to buy a digital camera

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
can you guys suggest something thats like over 4 megapixels cuz my current camera is horrible because theres like a 1 second pause between me pressing the button and the shutter closing. So suggest some with good response times, 4 or more megapixels and i want a nice sleek design and fast on-off times.

Digital vs Optical Zoom- Don't even look at "digital zoom" because it's not worth it. The standard on compact cameras is 3x optical. A couple canons do 4x and the Panasonics do 4-6 usually. There is a pretty compact Kodak that does 10X with its dual lenses (the V610). Anywho, optical zoom is what you want, that's what actually zooms with the lens. The digital zoom crops the picture and blows it up, stretching out the pixels, losing image quality. Now, on the Sony camera (the W100) that has 2X digital zoom, it's not a big deal beacuase its 8 megapixels.

Megapixels- It's all about what your using it for. If you just want to print pictures (4X6 or 5X7) or just put them on the computer/cd to share with friends, you don't really even need 4 megapixels, but that's as low as they can go. People see 8 and think WOW a big number, I need it. But it's usually not the case. 5 and 6 MP cameras are just as good as the 8 if you don't plan on printing large pictures or using their digital zoom. The quality is a tad sharper on an 8, but it's not a necessity.

The Brand Break-Down

Canon- Canons are the Absolute best cameras. Canon focuses on digital cameras, they like to have the best quality photos and the fastest running cameras. They manufacture their own parts (three main things that make a camera what it is are: processor, sensor, and lens). Their processor is the fastest, they start up instantly and there is practically no delay between pictures. They have a line of cameras for beginners (the A series cameras), enthusiasts (SD or ELPH series), and their professionals (the SLRs). Every camera they make has the same good stuff in them. So I always recommend canons, even for beginners. They have a lot of features.. A lot of what I call "photo shop" features can be done right on the camera. (Color accent is the best feature.

Sony- Also very good cameras. The downside to them is their media, the memory stick pro duo is only good in sony products. Thus, it's generally more expensive. Sony knows how to make money. Practically everything that comes with the camera is specific to sony. The nice thing about them is the batteries and chargers. If someone loses a charger, just ask them what kind of battery it is (C,P,T,E,G,R,M... i that's all of them) and grab the charger with that letter on it. Most people like sony because of the Carl Zeiss Lens. So it was used in a telescope, big deal. But it is a very good lens. The quality is comparable between a sony and a canon. Sony's are a little bit more difficult to use, so I wouldn't recommend them to new users.

Nikon- I don't usually recommend the L4 or the L3, those cameras are majorly slow. Slower than a snail. But, the higher end Nikons like the S6 are awesome. Especially the WiFi capabilities... Nikon used to be top of the line, but not so much anymore unless you get into the $400 range. The cheaper cameras are good for people who just take pictures with friends and want something cute and small (chicks usually).

Olympus- they are good for people that just want quality of the image. Olypus really focuses on making their pictures 35mm quality. They specialize in cameras, so why wouldn't they want good quality. A downside to Olympus is none of them have viewfinders. For someone that just wants fantastic quality, get them an olympus. Even recommend the waterproof one (stylus 720). They might not need that feature, but its always cool to have. Another nice thing about olympus is the "all-weather" feature to them. I freak about my camera in the rain, I have a canon. But olympus makes their cameras so you don't need to freak really. It's nice to have.

HP- the R927 is the only HP i recommend. It's a little bulky, but it's an awesome camera. For first timers, HPs are awesome. They can do a lot of things, and the menus are easy to navigate. The Photosmart software is simple too. Plus there's the docking station (explained below) for every one except that E series camera thats cheap...

Kodak- They're called easy share for a reason. They're very easy to use. Everyone in my family owns a Kodak. I don't particularly like them, they feel cheap. But, it is easy to get attachments on them. Someone that wants something half decent for not a lot of money. The only Kodak I like is the V610, and it's not even that good. But it's easy to sell that bluetooth printer with it!

If I HAD to recommend a camera, Go with SLR Canons, Some of their models are a bit pricey, but IMO Canons top of the line.

Fuji makes an excellent family of digital cameras. A lot of bang for the buck. I have the 3800.

Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic make very wonderful cameras. HP cameras are decent at best, but Kodak cameras are good for those who don't need anything advanced, but want something easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom