How much performance gain?

linnerd40

In Runtime
Hello to all!
I am getting a new motherboard and processor soon, and I was just wondering what kind of performance gain I should expect.

Old stats:
Intel Celeron D Socket 478 @ 2.53Ghz
ASRock P4i45GV Motherboard
Integrated graphics :(
512MB RAM PC3200
1 40gig 5400RPM hard drive 1 20gig 5400RPM hard drive :(

New Stats:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD Motherboard
PNY Verto GeForce6200 AGP8x GFX card 128MB
512MB RAM PC3200
1 40gig 5400RPM hard drive 1 20gig 5400RPM hard drive :(

Yeah, so those are my specs, then and.... err... soon (i hope). What do you think? Will my new system be greatly limited by the fact that my hard drives are only 5400RPM :( (I don't game much, and I don't have enough money for a decent hard drive). Yeah... so what can I expect? Oh and also, that motherboard is supposed to be upgradable with a special card that will make it socket AM2 compatible... any idea where I could maybe get that in the future?

Thanks for your help

-linnerd40

Performance in what situation?

Overall, great boost.

However, in a gaming situation, not to terribly much. That hard drive kills it, lol. But basicly you could have very well possibly doubled your performance.

Pretty decent setup.

i'd say your new setup is a pretty big boost. you're pretty well set for everything except major gaming. you could do some light gaming but nothing serious. I'd say look into a new video card if possible but I'd say your new setup is great :)

My 2cents would be to get a faster harddrive. That would help a decent amount with accessing files and whatnot on your harddrive. If you are not into video editing or playing games that video card is perfectly fine for you, though yeah if it was me I would bump up to a 6600 or a 6800. They wont destroy you money wise either which is good. Just my 2cents though.

Thank you all. I know I really must get a better video card, but I don't game, and for running Linux with Xgl, this should do fine for a while. Still, I am probably going to upgrade to a GeForce 6800 PCI-e when I get the money (hmm... *counts money* so that a whole $100 to go... *sighs*). Yeah, and for the hard drive, anyone know where I can get a really cheap 7200 RPM hard drive? (like sub $60ish?) No more than 80gigs... don't need that much for what I do. I just want to speed up my boot time a bit. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom