trouble with getting wireless router to work with pc....

sweetlilangel

Beta member
Ok..i need help *points to title* obviously trouble is im not fluent in "computer talk" lol..im a lil more than blond on that topic..but i connected the router to the comp..as the lil manuel said...and the local network light went on as it should have after being plugged into the port however i still dont have internet on the computer...in which case im guessing i have to do something like set up a wireless internet server or w/e but really and im embarrassed that i know so little on the subject but im hoping someone can help me anyway *blush* and overlook my complete and udder hopelessness with computers lol because i know im missing something completely obvious..

First and foremost, what type of connection? DSL (phone line) or Cable (cable TV). With DSL, you almost have to run the installation wizard, or they are pretty dificult to setup. Cable, on the other hand, is realatively simple. Here are some basic troubleshooting steps:

1. Go to Start>Run>type "cmd" without quotes, hit OK
2. A black screen (DOS prompt) will pop up. Nevermind what the text says, simply type "ipconfig" without quotes, and hit enter.
3. It should give you some information. The most important information is the IP address (with a router, this will usually start with a 192.xxx.x.x) If you have a 69.xxx.xx.x this means your computer is not communicating with your DHCP server (your router). If you do have a 192.xxx.x.x address, look at the default gateway. It should also be a 192.xxx.x.x addresss.
4. Take the "default gateway" address, double-click IE (Internet Explorer). Type the IP address in the browser (instead of typing www.whatever.com, type in 192.xxx.x.x (the default gateway address).
5 You should get a login prompt- most default username and passwords are admin for the username, and blank (nothing) for the password.
6. You should now be in the router- from here, you need to refer to the "lil manual" and determine where you can see your WAN (wide area network) address.
7. Good luck, hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom