NT Authority System Shutdown

malbiar1

Solid State Member
I keep getting an NT Authority System Shutdown Alert? Not sure how to get rid of it or how it even got there. I ran the ms wormblaster tool and no virus was found. Not sure what to do next? Any ideas anyone? :confused: My pop up blocker was mysteriously disabled and pop ups are getting in like crazy?? Even after I re enabled it????

I also ran a Norton Antivirus system scan and still keep having the problem. Also, reinstalled windows and still the ssame problem.

#1- get rid of Norton. Get Avast! at http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

#2- You couldn't have reinstalled Windows- if you did, all your information would be gone, including the virus. You may have repaired Windows, or did a System Restore, but I don't think you installed Windows.

#4 Download ad-aware SE, a free program to remove pop-ups (adware)
#5 Download Spybot- S&D, a free program to remove spyware.

NOTE: All programs listed here are freely available on the Internet. They are also free, and come highly recommended. Good luck....

Thanks, I will try Avast today. I didn't start my OS from scratch, as this is my first Dell laptop and the only way I know how to do it, won't work. It would be so much easier just to do that, if I knew how.

malbiar said:
Thanks, I will try Avast today. I didn't start my OS from scratch, as this is my first Dell laptop and the only way I know how to do it, won't work. It would be so much easier just to do that, if I knew how.

if its a new laptop (not older then 2005), it has dell system restore... which reverts your pc back to when you first purchased it.. try that... you press ctrl f11 at startup i beleive..

p.s. if you install windows via cd.. it will overwrite the dell system restore mbr, which would make it unbootable..

It's actually an Dell Inspiron 1150 that I bought in 12/04 so I'll have to look into that option! That would be so great to get it back to it's factory settings. I'm most definite it's spyware that got in and I reinstalled the OS over what was already installed, but of course that didn't get rid of spyware!!! Thanks for your help. Hopefully I'll get it back to normal soon! :confused:

If going back to factory settings doesn't work, then you have to do a full reformat unfortunately.

Sounds eaier to me to be honest....just not sure how to do it on a dell? Any idea? My Compaq, I just put in Windows 98 bootdisk and go from there, but that ain't working for the Dell????? :confused:

Worst case, you can call Dell, and they will send you the recovery discs. Not sure if that model actually had the recovery partition built into the hard drive or not. The recovery CDs should not cost more than $20. If you have your XP disc, and are willing to attempt to do a clean format and reinstall, we'll walk you through it. Formatting for me is just simply always the last option- so I don't like doing it at all. But I'll be more than happy to help walk you through it. All it takes is an XP OEM disc, or the original disc that came with your Dell. Let us know if you have either.

Oh God please help me start fresh!! I do have the OEM Xp Home Edition cd that came with it. Step by step instructions would be sooooo great!!!

Back
Top Bottom