computer won't boot up

EricM

Daemon Poster
My old computer which i still use for some things was turned off and left off for about a good 2 weeks. it was unplugged too soo it wasnt connected to any electrical power at all. 2 weeks later when i need to use it again, i plug it back in and turn it on and it wont boot up. the power led turns yellow instead of green like it should and then windows wont boot and all the fans power up at a very high rpm :eek:. and they continue to spin loudly and theres no sign of even the dell splashscreen coming up. it sounds more like an airplane taking off then a computer thats how loud the fans are. i thought it was in standby mode and maybe it is but my usb keyboard is receiving no power so i cant do anything except stare at a black screen. anyone got any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Was the internet plugged in try this.

Barebone setup, unplug all extra drives and PCI cards attempt a boot up.

yes the internet was connected :rolleyes: . i will try what u said, but its an older dell pc... pentium 4 and i had important files on it!!!!! i thought it was in hibernation mode soo i was going to hook up a ps2 keyboard to the pc because the usb had no power and i realized THERE ARE NO PS/2 ports for the mouse or keyboard!!!! stupid "user friendly" dell computers.

Where was your internet plugged into mobo or a modem or extra network card. CHances are a lighting bolt might of gone from your cat5 cable to your mobo. I suggest just taking out the HD plugged it in a different PC and drag and dropping should work just as well.

i have cable internet so the cable (rg6?) comes into the modem and from there it goes to the LAN which is split from a router. my other computer was still connected to the internet and nothing happened?

Never say never, lighting travels in a weird fashion. Your PC could be very well fried, if it doesn't boot up in barebone attempt only with MOBO, CPU.

Well i opened up the case to see if there were any loose connections.. but everything is fine. it wont boot up after i disconnected all the external peripheals. if i took out the hd and put it in the computer i have now will that work? i just want to copy some files over. but how would it work if windows and other programs are installed on the other computer's drive and i put that drive in this computer?

Just ensure that that HD is on slave and the PC will treat it as a slave drive and not read anything from it. If its IDE the settings will be on the HD just read the HD it will be really small writing.

Back
Top Bottom