Which would be faster?

ChrisMayhew

Beta member
Hello Poeple :)

Just been having a thought of how i can run my games a bit faster.

My System:
AMD Athlon 64 X2
2GB DDR Ram
320GB Total HDD Space
Nvidia Gainward 7800GTX Bliss 512MB

Anyway, the system is pretty nice to run games at the moment, however noticed an odd loading lag on most games.
I had a though which was faster in USB and IDE? If USB is faster would it be better to store my games on an external USB hard drive so the computer can access the files faster?

So my question is simple which is faster in USB and IDE? And would it make much difference?

Thank you,
Chris Mayhew

I'm thinking IDE is faster than USB, but I'm not sure. Try updating the drivers for your card if the games aren't that smooth. Try turning down some options in the game so it runs smoother.

Things to check, make sure there are no programs running in the background. Do you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. Try doing a defrag.

IDE should be faster, but I don't think the answer lies in moving to an external drive.

ChrisMayhew said:
Hello Poeple :)

Just been having a thought of how i can run my games a bit faster.

My System:
AMD Athlon 64 X2
2GB DDR Ram
320GB Total HDD Space
Nvidia Gainward 7800GTX Bliss 512MB

Anyway, the system is pretty nice to run games at the moment, however noticed an odd loading lag on most games.
I had a though which was faster in USB and IDE? If USB is faster would it be better to store my games on an external USB hard drive so the computer can access the files faster?

So my question is simple which is faster in USB and IDE? And would it make much difference?

Thank you,
Chris Mayhew

if you're looking to get the fastest, get sata, sata II is great, however the best drive in my opinion is the raptor 10000 rpm sata I by western digital.

you can get their 74gb hd for about 150.

however if you really have money to throw around you can get a SAS, a serial attached scsi drives they go up to 15000 rpms and are extremely expensive.

It won't be because of the hdd being IDE. IDE hdds are very capable of running games without any lag. As PerfectSK said, try updating the vid card drivers. That hardware is enough to run any game with high settings.

If you buy a SATA II drive and put your games in it, they should be faster to load...not insanely fast, but just faster.

lhuser said:
If you buy a SATA II drive and put your games in it, they should be faster to load...not insanely fast, but just faster.

i run 2x 160gb 7200 rpm hard drives, some by samsung one by seagate and others.. they work fast and very good for gaming and video editing

Back
Top Bottom