Busted Drives

Joel~

Daemon Poster
Okay, problem time...

I plugged another IDE hard drive into a PC with an IDE and a SATA drive in and after removing it, one IDE and the SATA aren't recognised in the BIOS. The CD drive still works, and one IDE hard drive (the original) is recognised, but won't boot up properly.

I have an intel desktop board d915gav motherboard. Would it be a problem with the board, the hard drives or the BIOS?

Thanks

--Den

Also tried that, no change. Is there a possibility that putting in the extra IDE drive may have caused some settings to change?

Make sure all cables and power connectors are fully inserted. You may need to re-set the hard disk boot priority in the BIOS to your primary boot drive. Maybe also try manually detecting the drives in the BIOS.

Usually, there's issues with SATA and IDE mixing. I never got this problem because I don't use SATA...but that thing is for SATA and IDE users.

Well, they worked fine together before. But when another IDE drive was put in (it belongs to someone else - they just needed files) it stopped working...

1st of all i would look at both hhd's Ide connector pins, if one of those pins are bent, the ide cable will seem connected ok, but your computer won't recongnize it. it happened to me once.one of the jumper pins was bent and the hhd was not recognized by the bios.

2nd, i would check to see that your friends hhd, your trying to get files off, make sure the jumper is set to slave. remember that no computer can have two master's. one hhd must be master & the other slave.

and if the above doesn't work, check the IDE cable itself to make sure it's snug into the Mobo, it could be a faulty cable.

Back
Top Bottom