New conroe build, memory, motherboard, and PSU suggustions

Looks like youve got everything pretty much figured out... what other suggestions are you looking for?

Aecliptic said:
Looks like youve got everything pretty much figured out... what other suggestions are you looking for?
I kinda just want alvino and ownage's opinions in particular, they usually have good ideas regarding PSUs, RAM, and Motherboards.

The only thing I would suggest is alittle more power wattage on the PSU... maybe go with the OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU.

The first thing Ownage will probably say is that the power supply you have selected is not one of the "Whisper" series from Enermax, which means it is garbage. Aecliptic's suggestion for a PSU is a great one, or a Powerstream from OCZ is good as well. FSP Group's PSU's aren't bad, either, and are typically very affordable.

Step up to the E6600. It has 4 MB of L2 cache instead of two, and is supposedly a bit better at overclocking from what I've heard/read. It's the best bang for your buck at the moment.

That motherboard is fantastic! Great choice on that one... GPU is good, too, if you aren't going to wait for DX 10, which I'm sure you have decided whether or not to do that since you're a smart guy (from what I've noticed, anyway :)) that knows what he's doing.

Memory I have no opinion on, but you know who does. Otherwise, it looks great! Nice build, although the one in your signature is still quite good anyway...

See, although Alvino and Ownage do know much more about this kind of stuff than most other users (including me, of course ;)), it doesn't mean we can't help too!

Jamxx said:
The first thing Ownage will probably say is that the power supply you have selected is not one of the "Whisper" series from Enermax, which means it is garbage. Aecliptic's suggestion for a PSU is a great one, or a Powerstream from OCZ is good as well. FSP Group's PSU's aren't bad, either, and are typically very affordable.
i've worked with plenty of enermax's, all have been rock solid for me, so i'll stick with what I know. :)

Jamxx said:
Step up to the E6600. It has 4 MB of L2 cache instead of two, and is supposedly a bit better at overclocking from what I've heard/read. It's the best bang for your buck at the moment.
Yeah, agreed.
Jamxx said:
That motherboard is fantastic! Great choice on that one... GPU is good, too, if you aren't going to wait for DX 10, which I'm sure you have decided whether or not to do that since you're a smart guy (from what I've noticed, anyway :)) that knows what he's doing.
Yeah, I think it's a great motherboard... good GPU too.. DX10 is too far off to really care.

Jamxx said:
Memory I have no opinion on, but you know who does. Otherwise, it looks great! Nice build, although the one in your signature is still quite good anyway...
Well, see this PC is not for me.. it's for a friend.. I'm not the one upgrading, my PC isn't due for that yet, it still runs good enough to keep me satisfied. :)

My friend on the other hand has a rather pitiful computer...
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
1GB of DDR266 RAM
Using MY GeForce 4 Ti4200, he only had a GeForce FX 5200.. god I hate the FX series.. such USELESS GPUs..
some crappy Biostar VIA chipset mother board.

Jamxx said:
See, although Alvino and Ownage do know much more about this kind of stuff than most other users (including me, of course ), it doesn't mean we can't help too!
Yeah, if I only wanted thiers and nobody else's I woulda just pm'd 'em. :p

haha, got your pm Mike, didnt seen this thread earlier. Must have missed it. Okay, lets get cracking!

First off, cpu looks great, but you will really see E6400's and lower shine on the P965 chipset. Especially the P5B (deluxe if you ahve the money) or Gigabyte DS3, but the DS3 is having some memory problems.

For the gpu, the 7950GT is just around the corner, so is the 256MB X1900XT, its your pick of the poison ;)

Now, Jamxx knows me too well :p Enermax is great for their Liberty line of powersupplies, which are modular. But you can do better than that. To be honest, I'm not liking OCZ's new powersupplies, no idea why, I'm just not impressed by it. Doesnt mean its a bad psu though. One psu that i would HIGHLY recommend, for a great budget (at least compared to their other psus :p) Is the PCP&C Silencer 610. It can be had DIRECTLY from PCP&C for 160 bucks. It has a whopping 49A on a single 12V rail. And having a single 12V rail is important on Intel systems as todays gpus and Intel cpus are amperage hogs. And keep in mind that this psu has 83% efficiency so its quite good, itll save you some on that electricity bill. If you can wait, im thinking of purchasing the PCP&C sometime soon.

Now, RAM, that RAM you have chosen is very nice, nice job on that. But we can do better ;) hahaha. Check out Team Group here: http://www.tankguys.biz/team.php?osCsid=9263aa0ff582008b0999af548994b5d2
I recommend the PC-5300 3-3-3-8 kit. Why? Because they use Micron's second tier RAM chips (D9GMH) which are capable of 3-3-3-8 up to PC-6400, and CAS4 at PC-8000. Now, that is a good deal. Plus, they are cheaper than those corsairs.

(BTW, order your processor from them too, theirs are cheaper than newegg)

Since you didnt state a price, I would have said something like, "Get top of the line everything!" haha :p

Other than what i posted above, it looks pretty good. You could opt for a bigger hard drive (Seagate 7200.10 320GB) but its up to you.

Back
Top Bottom