Difference between IDE and SCSI internal HD's?

I was talking to one of the Bio-Med guys and he reccommended to go with the IDE drive. I'm looking for something in the 120 to 160 gig range but I'd go with a 250 if it had the right price tag (even though I'd never use it all!). LOL!

I don't do huge amounts of gaming, but I'm getting into it a bit more. I prefer my GT series for the PS2!

Clutch said:
I was talking to one of the Bio-Med guys and he reccommended to go with the IDE drive. I'm looking for something in the 120 to 160 gig range but I'd go with a 250 if it had the right price tag (even though I'd never use it all!). LOL!

I don't do huge amounts of gaming, but I'm getting into it a bit more. I prefer my GT series for the PS2!
if your computer has a open SATA port, I would suggest SATA or SATA2 over old ATA. That's outdated now. SATA is the new standard.
If not, buy a pci SATA(2) controller and add your hdd(s).

Trust me, you'll be thankful when your programs load faster with SATA over ATA, the old fart.

AMD RULES said:
if your computer has a open SATA port, I would suggest SATA or SATA2 over old ATA. That's outdated now. SATA is the new standard.
If not, buy a pci SATA(2) controller and add your hdd(s).

Trust me, you'll be thankful when your programs load faster with SATA over ATA, the old fart.

SATA and ATA are achieving the same overall read speeds, due to the fact the hard drives are slower than the interface. So unless you're running RAID arrays, SATA vs ATA doesn't really matter.

Anyways this is a sata port, their about 3/4" inch long. If you have the option i'd recomend SATA over ATA due to the fact that their newer and slightly cheaper.

GA-81PE1000MK-SATA-Port-O.jpg

Only problem with large drives is when you suffer a catastrophic failure of the drive it's ALL gone. If you get a 250 gigger and divide it up in to several smaller drives, they're still on one mechanical drive. Head or spindle failure and it's bye, bye to all of it.
Several smaller drives would be the more sane route to go.
I have 4 80 gig Samsung SpinPoint 80's. They make sata versions of these also. And if you run out of connections you can always slap in a PCI ATA133 card and have four more drive connections.

You could set up a RAID mirroring array to combat that issue, of course then you'd have to spend double money on drives :-D

setishock said:
Only problem with large drives is when you suffer a catastrophic failure of the drive it's ALL gone. If you get a 250 gigger and divide it up in to several smaller drives, they're still on one mechanical drive. Head or spindle failure and it's bye, bye to all of it.
Several smaller drives would be the more sane route to go.
I have 4 80 gig Samsung SpinPoint 80's. They make sata versions of these also. And if you run out of connections you can always slap in a PCI ATA133 card and have four more drive connections.

Or you can just frequently backup your important data, so you will not loose anything :) Smaller drives are more expensive.

Also, if you have a head or spindle factor, all what needs to be replaced is the head or spindle. Data recovery this way can cost a pretty penny, but it's worth it for important data. If you're tech saavy, you can even replace these parts yourself.

Smaller drives do not cost more unless you're buying Maxtor or WD.
Samsung SpinPoint 80 80gig $49.00USD @ www.microcenter.com

[ SAMSUNG SP0802N (S00JJ20WC95165) ]

ATA Device Properties:
Model ID SAMSUNG SP0802N
Serial Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Revision TK100-24
Parameters 155127 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
LBA Sectors 156368016
Buffer 2 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
Multiple Sectors 16
ECC Bytes 4
Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
Unformatted Capacity 82615 MB

ATA Device Features:
SMART Supported
Security Mode Supported
Power Management Supported
Advanced Power Management Not Supported
Write Cache Supported
Host Protected Area Supported
Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
48-bit LBA Supported
Device Configuration Overlay Supported