Difference between IDE and SCSI internal HD's?

Clutch1

In Runtime
Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference?

Is one better than the other?

Which brands should I look for/stay away from?

Thanks for your help.

scsi is faster, but SATA pwns all of them. so if your buying a hard drive and you have sata on your mobo, then get a sata hard drive.

john123 said:
scsi is faster, but SATA pwns all of them. so if your buying a hard drive and you have sata on your mobo, then get a sata hard drive.

SATA is still slower than SCSI, interface wise.

Typically, SCSI hard drives are made for servers and high end workstations and have 10,000 or 15,000 RPM speeds. The other nice thing abotu SCSI is you can daisy chain up to 16? drives together. The downside of SCSI is price. The SCSI interface is 320 or 640 MBPS.

The ATA interface is the most common. Virtually every mothherboard supports ATA 66, ATA 100, or ATA 133 drives, with ATA 100 being the most common. It's cheap, and most of the ATA drives are 7200RPM.

The SATA interface is a new replacement for the ATA interface. Their is no real peformance difference with 7200 RPM drives however, and thats virtually all what runs on this interface besides the 10,000 RPM raptors.

For the fastest hard drives possible, I recomend the 15,000 RPM Seagate Cheetah series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

DJ-CHRIS said:
SATA is still slower than SCSI, interface wise.

Typically, SCSI hard drives are made for servers and high end workstations and have 10,000 or 15,000 RPM speeds. The other nice thing abotu SCSI is you can daisy chain up to 16? drives together. The downside of SCSI is price. The SCSI interface is 320 or 640 MBPS.

The ATA interface is the most common. Virtually every mothherboard supports ATA 66, ATA 100, or ATA 133 drives, with ATA 100 being the most common. It's cheap, and most of the ATA drives are 7200RPM.

The SATA interface is a new replacement for the ATA interface. Their is no real peformance difference with 7200 RPM drives however, and thats virtually all what runs on this interface besides the 10,000 RPM raptors.

For the fastest hard drives possible, I recomend the 15,000 RPM Seagate Cheetah series.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Ntk=all&N=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Hmmm.. Servers can and will use this to!!

iram-1.jpg

Take 2GB (PC3200 200MHZ) x 4 = 8GB's of Pc3200 ram for harddrive space

Review here:
http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2480&p=1

Ah yeah, theres Vaio Sony laptops that are using solid state storage instead of hard drives now. Its alot faster, and is dropping in price per bit, so, more companies are starting to take use.

Now I know how people feel when I talk about cars to them! Holy Snikies Batman!

Okay, I know that faster is better and a lot of space is good too. I just need something so I can make it the master and my current drive the slave so I can format the drive. I'm not ready to do major upgrades yet, just looking for something good to buy. I plan to buy a rather large drive if I can get a good price, but I only need it right now for format purposes right now.

I do plan to build up another computer soon, so I am going to want the best. Can someone explain what all of this means to me?

Let's just say that a 300GB 15,000RPM SCSI drive is well over $1000.
It is only made for servers that require it to be running 24/7 365days a year, and need to be reliable and dependable.
SATA is made for consumer use.

AMD RULES said:
Let's just say that a 300GB 15,000RPM SCSI drive is well over $1000.
It is only made for servers that require it to be running 24/7 365days a year, and need to be reliable and dependable.
SATA is made for consumer use.

True, but lower density disks are down to sane levels of price.

Back
Top Bottom