Computer Won't Turn On.

Thanks a lot! I'll try this tomorrow. One question: is it possible I've lost all my data on my HDDs?

Thanks a lot! I'll try this tomorrow. One question: is it possible I've lost all my data on my HDDs?

I highly doubt it, however as my boss has tuaght me never say never cause you never know. But yes try a barebone boot up, maybe even without the GPU. If it boots up then its not your PSU. If you discover this is the case then slowly one at a time plug in each card/device and if the PC boots up contiue to the next one.

Where is your internet cable hooked up too? If its your MOBO I would suggest bringing it to a PC shop, kindly ask them if they would be willing to test it out for you if you don't got a spare MOBO laying around.

I'll ask my boss for you tomorrow

It happened with me last time. I would suggest to do what Nik0017 said. Especially removing ALL power cables. Then replug it back. It should do it.

Could also require resetting all parts, so if that doesn't work before buying any new parts i'd rebuild the PC making sure to ensure that all connections are tight.

Power Power everywhere..lol

The first rules to working with power is to rule out anything its connected to. I have had in the past a floppy drive that was stopping my computer from turning on just becuase it kept shorting out my power supply. Remember to turn your computer on, you dont need a Floppy, DVD or CD drive or even your hard drive. Unplugging all these drives will allow you to test the power supply more fast. Just remember you still need power to your mainboard. I have also had people's ON buttons on there pc's stick and it makes it hell to turn on. So test if you like or just go by a new Power supply.

joelbeveridge said:
Power Power everywhere..lol

The first rules to working with power is to rule out anything its connected to. I have had in the past a floppy drive that was stopping my computer from turning on just becuase it kept shorting out my power supply. Remember to turn your computer on, you dont need a Floppy, DVD or CD drive or even your hard drive. Unplugging all these drives will allow you to test the power supply more fast. Just remember you still need power to your mainboard. I have also had people's ON buttons on there pc's stick and it makes it hell to turn on. So test if you like or just go by a new Power supply.
The theory's possible, HOWEVER, I don't find much on power buttons shortening...in fact, it's shortening so that the board will turn on.

before you go to the trouble of unplugging everything I thikn that you should just try this simple trick...

It's not dangerous ('cause you're insulated from the mains by the electronics inside the PSU).

Unplug the ATX connector.
un bend a paperclip...

find the pin that is connected to the green wire.
push one end of the paperclip into that pin. find another pin that is connected to a black wire, and push the paperclip into that pin.

when you short these two wires together with the paper clip the PSU should come on...
if it doesn't then the PSU is broken...

if the PSU does work... try plugging it back in and pressing the button again...
(if you try all of this first you only need to undo the amount of screws needed to take the side off.

Screw this. I tried unplugging the non-barebone components and that still didn't work. I'm going to have to take it to the experts from where I got my computer. :(
Just hope they don't rip me off.

---

I feel dumb writing this but the cable connected and power should be on for this paperclip technique that root mentioned to work? I'm just asking this retarded question because I don't want the risk of getting a shock.

Or better yet, I'll buy a PSU from newegg.com. And if it still doesn't work after that and it's not the PSU's fault, then I'll just have a spare PSU. In this case, I hope the PSU is dead. And hope I can come up with some cash :p

P.S Does newegg.com by any chance ship orders to Europe? Because I currently live in Austria.

Back
Top Bottom