difference between ps/2 and usb

pc trade post

Daemon Poster
i was just curious.. is there actually a performance difference between ps/2 mice/keyboards and usb mice/ keyboards?

Well USB really made a huge leap when it comes to using them devices in windows XP. I do know that if you have a dead PS/2 mouse and go to swap it with another good PS/2 mouse, sometimes you need to restart the PC to allow it to find the mouse. But USB is rather good at working stright away.

When it comes to file transfer with USB (USB sticks, USB portable hard drives). There is a huge speed difference with USB 1.1 and USB 2.0

But if you go look at any moden Dell PC and they have stopped installing PS/2 plugs. USB is the way of the furture. See ya

Actually, the basic dells dont use the ports, but their motherboards do come with them.

But anyways, no there isnt a performance difference. Just usb is easier to manufacture I guess. And they stick more of the ports on the mobo for you to use usb keyboards and mice, to rid of the ps/2.

Who knows it may even cost more.. But hes right, USB is the way of the future.. roll with it :cool:

alright thanks for the info. another reason why they make usb mice might also be so they dont need to add ps/2 ports to laptops, and people can just use the usb ports instead

There isn't really any performance difference, but each has their pros and cons.

PS/2 is a legacy port, which means if the computer is on, you need to restart the computer for it to be detected. It's not hot swappable, which means unplugging it and replugging it won't have it work again. The good thing is that you don't need drivers, as legacy peripherals are natively supported by Windows.

USB isn't legacy, which means that you can plug it in and unplug it whenever (i.e. hot swappable). For some of the older USB peripherals, you'll need drivers, but now that USB has become mainstream, Windows natively supports it without the need for drivers.

My opinion is that if you can, go with USB peripherals. Although there isn't any real performance difference and PS/2 is as reliable as ever, USB has a potential future, unlike PS/2 where it's destined to the graveyard like AGP and other computer technologies. :)

I didn't like PS/2 just because I've had some keyboards and mice go bad because the little pins inside were bent and it wouldn't work. I had to fix them with pliers. I prefer USB just because you typically don't have to restart for drivers and stuff (at least not with keyboard and mice) and it's hard to screw up a USB connector. My Dell PC has no PS/2 ports and I was actually shocked when I first got it but I actually prefer it that way, another thing I like about USB is that if one of my ports goes bad, I have 7 more :) unlike PS/2 where you only get two and that's it.

It's hard for a PS/2 port to go bad. Unless you yank it out at an angle, it won't really bend the pins if you're careful enough. I've used PS/2 ever since my first computer, at least for my keyboard. My MX518 uses USB.

I had a USB keyboard once.. but it wouldn't work with my PC for some reason.. I stick to PS/2 for keyboard, and USB for my mouse.

i prefer ps2 because usb keyboards and mice don't work under dos and i can hot swap ps2 keyboard and mice and i can with many other computers not just my own. i know this used to be a problem but usb keyboards and mice seem to have some along since people can start hot swapping ps2 devices

ArrizX said:
But anyways, no there isnt a performance difference. Just usb is easier to manufacture I guess. And they stick more of the ports on the mobo for you to use usb keyboards and mice, to rid of the ps/2.

USB sends and recieves data 125 times a second

Stock PS2 sends and recieves data 100 times a second, however some logitech drivers upped this to 200 once :)

Back
Top Bottom