Core 2 (Conroe) vs Athlon FX-62 Benchmarks

Having two CPU sockets using DDR2 DRAM linked with HyperTransport, which enables you to drop in one or two dual core Athlon64 FX CPUs to make a quad core system reminds me of a the old multi CPU systems used in servers except this time, it has dual core support for each socket. AMD thinks that by pairing a quad core setup with a quad GPU SLI graphics setup will smoke all.

Ah, well, okay, but lets put this another way.

Like an AMD, for example my 3500+. It is capable of running as fast as a Pentium 4 3.5GHZ, yet it only runs at 2.2GHZ.

Is it the same case for the Conroe core?

MooseMan said:
well kage really it's not a pentium. it's just a core 2 duo *shrugs* i think the pentuim line is comming 2 an end basically.

i don't really get what u mean by faster than stated. but it does take 128-bit executions as a whole in comparison to AMDs and netburst's 64-bit execution. so instead of breaking a 128-bit into two 64-bits it just takes it as a whole, saving time :), or a whole clock cycle(hope clock cycle is the right term) i beleve....

Thats partial to why Core 2 Duo performs so well. They can also group similar instructions and execute both in 1 clock cycle. They can also execute 3 simple and 1 complex instruction compared to AMDs 2 simple and 1 complex.

Kewl :D

Well, my next builds going to be a Core 2 Duo definietly. I have the money for it, but I'm going to wait until I've got about double what I need for the entire PC build.

I'm not going to go for the fastest Core 2 Duo, but I think if I get the 6700 or something, I can overclock it to Extreme speeds...

It won't be for a while yet though.

Sweet build :D

TRDCorolla said:
Having two CPU sockets using DDR2 DRAM linked with HyperTransport, which enables you to drop in one or two dual core Athlon64 FX CPUs to make a quad core system reminds me of a the old multi CPU systems used in servers except this time, it has dual core support for each socket. AMD thinks that by pairing a quad core setup with a quad GPU SLI graphics setup will smoke all.
Four Graphics Cards?! Who the hell needs four Graphics Cards?!

You'd need a wall in your house free for the 3m plasma screen you'd need to see what that many new graphics cards could show :p And that wouldn't be good... cause then if you were playing late a game like... something scary, then it'd be crazy!

Haha, yeah. Quad SLI is such a gimmick. If you really want to use Quad SLI effectively, you'll need either a multiple monitor setup or a 24"+ LCD display.

Back
Top Bottom