ram question

Ronco Rox

Fully Optimized
i just took 2 sticks of 256 of ram out of my other computer and put them in mine for a total of 1.5 gigs of ram. but i'm worried if that i leave them in my computer will run slower and it will actually make my games run crappier.

these are the timings of one stick of 256 but both of them are the same
2-3-3-6

i don't know if thats good or not, porbably bad timings for that because this was ram from a prebuilt computer. thanks.

Those are very good timings. I don't see any reason why they would slow your system down unless they were of a lower speed than what you already have in there.

the difference speed between the the 2 sticks of 512 and the 2 sticks of 256 i have in there now are 33 mhz, not that big of a difference but i hope my crappy 300w psu can hold up for 4 slots of ram being taken.

I don't think the PSU will give up the ghost by adding a couple more sticks of memory.

33MHz isn't enough to notice a difference. Just remember that your memory runs as fast as the slowest stick. But then, you can always bump up the speed in the BIOS.

The ram will all run at the slowest sticks speed, the lowest common denominator will drag the rest down to its speed.

i can't change the speed of my ram because my BIOS is locked and i had to put the 2 sticks of 256 back into the other computer so now i added 1 stick of 128 into my rig so now i have 2 sticks of 512 and 1 stick of 128. the timings for the 128 are 2-3-3-6 are these timings good. i'm asking because i don't know what timings are good for what ram.

2-3-3-6 isnt great for DDR now, really when you can get 1GB of 2-2-2-5 for cheap, very cheap.

ownage said:
2-3-3-6 isnt great for DDR now, really when you can get 1GB of 2-2-2-5 for cheap, very cheap.

yeah im saving up for 2 sticks of 512 which have timings of 2-2-2-5 from OCZ and i had it bookmarked from newegg BUT they decided to take it off so i have to go find it again =(

Crucial Ballistix, Patriot XBLK, OCZ Plat. Rev. 2, G.Skill PC4000 2.5-3-3-7, are all 2-2-2-5(6) timings at PC3200.

Back
Top Bottom