im looking for a new graphics card

If you're for nVidia, you can't go wrong price to performance-wise with the 7600GT. Everyone seems to recommend them, so I'd assume they're a pretty dang good card. However, personally, I'd recommend to you (unless you intend on SLI) the seemingly highly underrated Radeon X850XT. It's cheaper than the 7600GT, and the stats actually look better, to me. The memory is nearly as fast, and it's 256-bit interface makes its bandwidth better, since the 7600GT's memory isn't twice as fast. Now I don't know the history of this card; if there are any problems that people have had with this card, then sure, it may not be worth risking getting a defective card. But this card really seems good to me, even though its number is less that the X1300 or the X1600, it still looks to be better.

I have never built a system or even for that matter seen a system running with either of these cards, I'm just going by sheer stats which were found at the following website.

Here's a comparison of the two cards: the X850XT and the 7600GT. According to GPUreview, its 3DMark05 scores are actually better. Anyone feel free to disagree with me, but this is just what I would recommend for someone on a bit of a budget, assuming they don't favor either side and aren't necessarily going for SLI.

EDIT: Sorry for the wrong link to the card, I just fixed it (I think).

Yeah, the X850 XT PE is actually (and sadly) very underrated. It has great performance and the price is a steal.

if you can, get a X1800GTO2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102027)
FLASHABLE TO X1800XT.

GODM@N @ OCF said:
Can you say DEJA VU???

Remember how thousands of ppl jumped on the X800GTO2 cuz it was a bios underclocked X850XT core (r480)? Well, I know I'm a bit late on this announcement, and I wish I had seen this sooner, but here we have yet another GTO2 deal!!

This X1800GTO2 is a X1800XT 512mb flashed down to 500/500 speeds. It's a X1800XT 512mb in disguise!!!

I had a thread for the MSI X1800XL 512mb deal a while ago and not many people listened to me (and then it ended up selling out permanently), but this time take my advice... I looked at the pix and again I see the X1800XT PCB... it's got 6 phase inductors and everything else (when compared to my x1800xt) looks identical.

Haha, yeah. Sapphire's GTO2's have always been known to be very flashable and easy to mod. Remember the X800 GTO2? A simple BIOS flash and a few tweaks here and there would give you a X850 XT PE, provided you had the right core. The GTO2 line is basically the extra cores that Sapphire has, so they just dump them into some cards and rebrand them and give them slightly slower clocks.

Yeah that was the card I was thinking of :p The ATI Radeon X800GTO!
I have a magazine too but couldn't find it at the time :|

Back
Top Bottom