Cant start OS after partition

V3RT1G0

Baseband Member
well i resized my primary partition with norton partition magic and and then formatted it with the command line Diskpart and then ctivated it as id=af (AF partition) and then i rebooted and inserted my disk which i was gonna install in the other partition but i got an error when reading the disk so no action was taken but now i cant boot into my windows OS primary partition i just get a white blinking line like a command line just blinking there... so does anyone know how to fix it? i only have to partitions on the hard drive the main windows one and then the new one i made... thx for any help

bump... please someone i need to get back on my computer or otherwise i just have a brick

If this was my PC i was dealing with, the first trouble hooter i would start is to connect that hard drive (problem one) to a second computer and set as a slave drive. After this is done. Start that second PC up and allow it to log into your computer's OS. Now if you have done this correctly you should be able to go to My Computer and see that second hard drive you set as slave, It might be called F: or something like that.

If you cannot see it-
*Exit out of My Computer
Now right click on My Computer and go to Manage.
Now A new box will open. Go down to Disk Managment
HOW MANY DRIVE's are there?? There should be your Main Drive.
Now IS there another Drive?
Right Click on that Other Drive if its there, It might be that this drive has not be Marked as an Active Partition. If this is true, Set up. Get back to me if you need more info

joelbeveridge said:
If this was my PC i was dealing with, the first trouble hooter i would start is to connect that hard drive (problem one) to a second computer and set as a slave drive. After this is done. Start that second PC up and allow it to log into your computer's OS. Now if you have done this correctly you should be able to go to My Computer and see that second hard drive you set as slave, It might be called F: or something like that.

If you cannot see it-
*Exit out of My Computer
Now right click on My Computer and go to Manage.
Now A new box will open. Go down to Disk Managment
HOW MANY DRIVE's are there?? There should be your Main Drive.
Now IS there another Drive?
Right Click on that Other Drive if its there, It might be that this drive has not be Marked as an Active Partition. If this is true, Set up. Get back to me if you need more info
how exactly do i set it as a slave drive just connect it and let it install the drivers and then just go into it?

On the back on your Hard drive (where all the connections are). You should see what we call Jumpers (white or black) connected into the back of your hard drive, there is only one jumper and its very small. You should be able to remove it. If there is not one there, it makes our job easier, the jumper really just lets the computer know which hard drive should be Boss and all the others are slaves. Leaving out the jumper will allow the computer to choose what its going to call that second hard drive, e.g. Master, slave.. I did forget to ask what type of hard drive connection you have, IDE or SATA. IDE has a wide cable about 2.5cms across and a SATA drive cable is red and about 1cm across

Well, if you did this:
V3RT1G0 said:
i resized my primary partition with norton partition magic and and then formatted it
Then you effectively removed your OS by reformatting the resized primary partition.

I did something similar to what you did today. Im afraid you'll have to install a fresh copy of Windows. If it does not install, like it didnt for me (kept receiving errors, and setup wouldnt continue after file copy) than when it asks you what partition to instlal windows on, select to format to NTFS (do not use quick method, go with the full one)

Atomic Rooster said:
Well, if you did this:

Then you effectively removed your OS by reformatting the resized primary partition.
nah all my files and OS are still there i just resized the partition and thenwith that unlocated space i formatted in AF which is why i cant boot... it doesnt choose what partiton to jump to so im left here and now i gotta take my HD out for now... and yes im on SATA

Back
Top Bottom