need some help with an XP error.

crespo

Solid State Member
hey I just upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP and I've been getting an error a lot, moreso when I try a XP repair install since I've been noticing some errors with Anti-Spyware and Anti-Virus programs among others since I got it running. here's what it looks like

Problem caused by the following

ntfs.sys

**bunch of text here about if you haven't seen this error before then restart your computer**

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xE11237A4, 0x00000001, 0xF81550D2, 0x00000001)

ntfs.sys - Address F81550D2 base at F8122000, DateStamp 41107eea

***that happened while I was trying to do a repair installation.

now before I installed Windows XP it asked me if I wanted to convert my file format to NTFS, and I did convert. could that be the problem? how can I convert back to FAT32 if so? and I didn't create a new partition when I installed Windows XP, I just used my exsisting partition that had Windows ME on it. was that a no-no?

1/. You can't convert back to FAT32 without using f/disk and reformatting via a 98 boot disk

2/.You really should have deleted and recreated the partition, by installing over ME you've probably got lots of leftover ME junk in there.

Question:

Is your XP an upgrade disk?

no it is an OEM full XP Home version.

can I still go back, delete the partition and reinstall windows?

Yep, in the bios set your rom drive to first boot device, pop your XP cd in the rom drive, cancel auto run, reboot, run setup, delete primary partition, recreate primary partition, format to NTFS, install windows, all should be good to go

Back up all important data as this will wipe the drive

Also, id recomend formatting to NTFS using the full format, and not the quick format. Sure it takes like 20x longer, but ive found it the best way to end up with no problems.

trance-n-e said:
Also, id recomend formatting to NTFS using the full format, and not the quick format. Sure it takes like 20x longer, but ive found it the best way to end up with no problems.

I've done it a million times with the quick format and haven't had any problems, but I do agree, a full format would be better if u don't mind waiting.

mammikoura said:
I've done it a million times with the quick format and haven't had any problems, but I do agree, a full format would be better if u don't mind waiting.

Well than I guess you're the lucky one between two of us. Ive always had problems with quick format. I even had a problem today. Quick format doesnt remove everything, it just kinda hides it.

not to be picky, but a full format still hides stuff too, even after seven passes writing 1's & 0's, with the right tools, data is recoverable ;) :)

The only true way to make data unrecoverable is to destroy the platters

Well I dont mean recovery, I mean the actual files stay there after quick format. For example, today I was isntalling a fresh copy of Windows. I went and did a quick format on drive c:, and when all the setup files were copied, I was still getting the same message. (some kind of error, cant remember in detail) I tried the quick format a few more times, same thing, even got worse when the computer all of a sudden would suddently go into setup without even asking me first like it always does.

Than I went and did a full format, and voila!!! Everything worked!

yep, that's the truth for sure, my post was a tad deeper though, not to put you down at all ;) but if the FBI or other agencies really want to recover data from your hdd, it's possible unless you actually destroy the platters. That was the point I was making :D

Back
Top Bottom