Networking 2 computers

superman22x

Golden Master
Hi,
I just purchased a used computer and we have another computer as well. The two computers will be in seperate parts of the house and I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the 2 computers permanatly so I could obtain info from one harddrive to the other. We have dial-up currently and are hoping to get highspeed if it is available soon, if that has any effect on connecting 2 computers.

Thanks

im pretty sure that you have to have dsl (or anything faster than dial up) in order to network computers. someone correct me if im wrong.

Just use a cat5e cross over cable to direct connect two pcs for simple file sharing.

Look into wired/wireless routers/switches when you get a high speed connection.

If you require net access for both there are two ways to go, make the pc with the modem the gateway and connect to the net on the second pc via the gateway (the gateway pc needs to be turned on for the client pc to connect) or buy a hub/switch to avoid requiring the gateway pc to be running. Both pc's and the modem connect to the hub/switch.

im pretty sure that you have to have dsl (or anything faster than dial up) in order to network computers. someone correct me if im wrong.
Technically wrong but I see what you are saying...
you can network computers regardless of the speed of your internet connection... all you need are two network cards (one in each PC) and a cable to conect the two, (if you're only using two machines a crossover cable is fine)...

I see what you meant though.. if you are on dialup, then there is little point in sharing the internet conection between the two machines, whilst it is *technically* possible, it'll work so slowly that you'll just recieve timeout messages most of the time.

Ok, thanks guys. We are having the guy from the wireless broadband come look at our area soon. I hope we can get high speed.

Hello all.

In this world of New tech's coming out all the time. There are so many different ways to connect PC's together for sharing of Music, files, playing games.

The most easiest and fast way to connect to PC's is with a Crossover cable (Yellow or Red). This will allow sharing of everything from PC to PC, also it will allow sharing of Internet connect (better with DSL).

2nd- You can go wireless router setup, but this can sometimes lead to dropout in connection or poor connections, depends on Router or House setup. (DSL wireless router or Plan old Wireless router will do the job).

3rd- This way involes a good internet connect* Using Programs like WinVNC or Logmein.com. which allows you to take over your other computer system from anywhere in the world. This is rather safe and has passwords and protection.

Back
Top Bottom