Major windows xp problem!

lhuser said:
Well, one thing mammikoura:

The user is most comfortable with Windows because he can use it for all his usual stuff. ALTHOUGH, if you do not play 3D games (such as Counter-Strike:Source or any 3D DirectX game), Suse 10.1 would let you use it peacefully and free. BUT, if you want to use Windows, shouldn't your CompaQ come with Restore CDs?

Well, the answer I got from the compaq people, with windows xp, you have to make your own boot disc. every other piece of software that came with my computer is in the same spot and has been since i bought it.

and mammikoura, your link's broke.

His link ain't broke. It's working for me.

And as far for these people, they're GH3Y because all retail PCs like these have to include a rescue CD. Heck, even my frend's CompaQ has the Windows Millenium restore CDs.\
And I'll tell you something: It's saying Pentium III, but in fact, it's an AMD Duron...

some manufacturers make a recovery partition on the hdd from which you make a restore disk, sounds like this is the case with Clutch's pc.

Clutch, if you can get back to your original install create your restore disk.

Well, I have reason to believe there is something seriously wrong with my hard drive. I brought my computer over to my GF's house tonight to re-install xp home edt. and she watched as it set up. When it got to the point where it asked to format the drive, it said invalid disc again and she believes that is referring to the hard drive. I'm just gonna have to get a second drive when I get my new tower in a few weeks than use the new drive as master and old as slave and try to format it like that. Worst case, I have a dead 80 gig HD. Oh well, I can get a new one for what, 30 to 50 bux?

I was able to fix the existing xp home with her boot disc so I have a computer again. Now on to getting my linux software.

We went to Barnes and Noble tonight to look for some linux stuff there and (seeing as I hate reading) after reading a few pages, I have more reason to want to learn linux, so, I'm off to find a legal version of linux and try it out!

Thanks again Guys/Gals!

lhuser said:
Well, one thing mammikoura:

The user is most comfortable with Windows because he can use it for all his usual stuff. ALTHOUGH, if you do not play 3D games (such as Counter-Strike:Source or any 3D DirectX game), Suse 10.1 would let you use it peacefully and free. BUT, if you want to use Windows, shouldn't your CompaQ come with Restore CDs?

yes I know, but I was talking about linux as a temporary solution. Just to use it untill he can get his hands on a legal windows.

I was able to get the link to work and with the help of my GF and her computer (complete with cable modem) I downloaded kubuntu and burned it on disc. Started tooling around with it last night. Running it from the disc for now. I like it and it'll be great til I can afford a Mac.

Just gotta work on getting a second hard drive so I can wipe out everything on the drive I have now.

Anyone have any suggested reading so that I can learn a bit more about linux/kubuntu before I make it my primary system?

Clutch said:
I was able to get the link to work and with the help of my GF and her computer (complete with cable modem) I downloaded kubuntu and burned it on disc. Started tooling around with it last night. Running it from the disc for now. I like it and it'll be great til I can afford a Mac.

Just gotta work on getting a second hard drive so I can wipe out everything on the drive I have now.

Anyone have any suggested reading so that I can learn a bit more about linux/kubuntu before I make it my primary system?

well google is ur best friend. I didn't read any tutorials before I installed it, just used google when I needed to do something I didn't know how to do. And if u need some questions answered just make a thread (preferably to the OS section) and start asking. :p

MooseMan said:
fedoa core(red hat), suse, mandrake. those are 3 popular distros that i would look into if i were you.

Yeah, I took a quick look into suse (link didn't work when I tried to download it) and than I got the link from an eariler post for kubuntu and downloaded it. As soon as I can, I'm gonna make it my primary/only system and lose microsoft.

My GF and I watched the key notes on apple's website last night and I just absolutely love how Gates is still showing his un-originality by continually copying mac software. The feature 'Time Machine' was absolutly amazing. The way it came up on the screen when you selected it was great and it's an awesome feature! I could have used it a while ago myself!!

For the time being, I'm just gonna get another hard drive, set that up as my master and the current one as a slave, format it and than start over using kubuntu or some other form of linux. Than my next project will be getting a Mac. Probably a MacBook cause the Macbook pro's are a little expensive for my current budget.

Getting a laptop, restoring a 40 year old mustang and building a business/career don't go together very well! LOL!! :p

Back
Top Bottom