Learning Linux!

MarxSoccer said:
That could be a possibility, but I think I'll go with Ubuntu anyways :p

yeah I heard ubuntu is pretty good. I'm using kubuntu which shouldn't be that different, don't even know what the difference is but there must be something. :D

Real quick since I'm gonna do this soon. I have two partitions, a 110 and a 40 or somewhere around there. I put in my XP disc, delete and reformat the other partition, then when I put it Ubuntu I pick which partition to install to, or like it find the empty one right?

no need for win xp cd. Just start to install ubuntu and then u should be able to delete the other partition and install on it.

don't worry about it, I too was a little confused on how to choose what to do with the partitions when installing linux for the 1st time. But it's pretty simple, it gives u quite good instructions. And it might ask how u want to do the partitioning, choose partition manually or something like that and then u should figure it out. By default it probably will shrink the windows partition and create a new partition from the space left over after shrinking the windows partition.

Why would it need to shrink thw XP partition if I'm just deleted the FC4 partition and using that space? I did it before, just don't remember the process. Lemme throw in the CD and see what happens :p

MarxSoccer said:
Why would it need to shrink thw XP partition if I'm just deleted the FC4 partition and using that space? I did it before, just don't remember the process. Lemme throw in the CD and see what happens :p

It doesn't need to. I was trying to say that the default setting is to shrink the windows partiton and use the space. But u can ofcourse change it.
And another great thing about ubuntu, u can browse the new while installing the os. :p (well atleast with kubuntu u can)

Is it alright though if I use my XP CD to delete and format the other partition? I'm familiar with XP's way so I'd just feel more comfortable.

it should be fine if u delete it using the xp cd. Never used it myself but I don't know why it wouldn't work that way.
And remember, u can read ntfs based filesystems with linux, but windows can't read the linux partitions. So with linux u can access everything on the windows partition, but on windows u can't even see the linux partition.

Well shit, lol. I went into the Recovery console which I guess was the wrong way to go cause I didn't find the partitioning crap. Lemme just do it through Ubuntu. Hope I don't delete the XP Partition :eek:

MarxSoccer said:
Well shit, lol. I went into the Recovery console which I guess was the wrong way to go cause I didn't find the partitioning crap. Lemme just do it through Ubuntu. Hope I don't delete the XP Partition :eek:

When u boot from the windows cd u need to choose "install windows" and then proceed until u get to the partition things. But just do it with ubuntu, it ain't that hard and well then atleast u know how to do it in the future.

Ubuntu has a great partitioner that is very user-friendly. It should recognize your windows partition and use any disk space left! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom