Question about CPU

DannyBoy1

Daemon Poster
I just bought a new AMD Processor and first time for me installing a CPU, I keep a reasuring myself of this but DO i need to put any thermal compound on my CPU or do i just take the cover off my Heatsink and fix it all in?..lol pretty stupid but hell wouldn't wanna mess it up lol broofkield. I forgot. :p

Yes you need to use thermal compound. Artic Silver 5 is the compound of choice by most builders. A spot about the size of a grain of rice, spread out evenly over the cpu chip then mount the heat sink. If the heatsink is just bare metal where it contacts the cpu then the heat doesn't transfer well enough and you get over heating problems.
Some heatsinks come with a square of thermal tape on the contact point. It's ok but on high performance cpu's it dries out too quickly. If your heatsink has this on there you can clean it off and go with the paste.

well i have some on My heatsink allready its a 4400 + so i should Buy some Artic Silver 5 and put dot and spread on the heatsink and CPU or just the CPU and wipe ther square off the heatsink?

Getting the square off is a pain in the butt, trust me.
If you've never done this I'd really consider taking it to a shop and letting a tech install it.

well, I've been watching lots of videos and got a real good idea how to do it it's just the thermal compound, will the sqaure be enough or do i ned to Buy Thermal 5

sorry to double post but i Found some Arctic Silver 5 in my cuboard.
SO i just get the Heat pad off my new heat sink with a old credit card or something. Then put a dot on the new CPu evenly spread it and thats it for thermal compound? :)

setishock said:
If you've never done this I'd really consider taking it to a shop and letting a tech install it.

well u won't ever learn to do the stuff if u just take it to a shop. And they would probably make u pay like $10 for installing the heatsink, which takes like 2-15 mins depending on the heatsink.
Just make sure that both of the surfaces (cpu and heatsink) are clean, then put the thermal compound on the cpu. Then just slap the heatsink on the cpu and attach it as tightly as u can.

Not sure if thats the right way to do it, but thats how I've always done it and the computers I have built have ran fine.

INstalled the CPU and booted up fine int windows start screen then my keyboard was unplugged so i plugged it in rebooted and when it goes onto the loading screen it says no signal and restarts.. i reinstalled my other cpu and it does the same thing. ANy dieas?

Back
Top Bottom