Learning Linux!

MarxSoccer

BSOD
Alright so, I'm always out trying to learn more things to add to my knowledge. Now, I've been using windows my entire life. So that means, I'm VERY familiar, as most of us are, with file paths for etc.. like C\windows\clock.avi and stuff of that nature. Well, I want to learn how linux works. I have NO idea how it does, all I see is root and dev1 and dev2 and crazy stuff like that. So all of you, whatever you are able to share concerning ANYTHING with linux, post it!

I've got Ubuntu, and FC4. But isn't everything still the same no matter what version? I'm just looking to learn it to the best I can. If someone could compare linux path files to windows, or just anything else that would be great. I don't know a darn thing :(

MarxSoccer said:
I've got Ubuntu, and FC4. But isn't everything still the same no matter what version? I'm just looking to learn it to the best I can. If someone could compare linux path files to windows, or just anything else that would be great. I don't know a darn thing :(

no everything isn't the same. Console commands etc depend on the distro, most of them do look similar though because they are using the same visual thingy (usually kde or gnome)

But just use linux and u will learn, u have ubuntu which uses debian commands, which is good because u find a lot of documentation & help for them. And learn to use the console for stuff, it's a lot faster and will make using linux easier. Google is pretty good for finding a command that u need.

And about the file system, instead of using drive names like C: or D: linux uses hda1 and stuff like that. In hda, hd = harddrive, a=1st harddrive (master), 1=the number of the partition on the hdd. So if u have like 2 hdds and two partitions on each of the hdds, the 2nd partition of the 2nd hdd would be called hdb2 instead of F: or what ever letter windows would give it.

If u need to know something specific just ask, I'm not a pro with linux (just started to use it a while ago) but I do know something, and there are probably quite many here who know a lot more than I do. :p

MarxSoccer said:
You say Ubuntu uses debian commands, what other types of commands are there?
Well I'm not familiar with many distros, but I'd imagine that most of them use their own commands. Debian, ubuntu, kubuntu etc use the same commands. So basicly if u swich between these distros u shouldn't have too big problems because the commands u are used to will work. I'm pretty sure that suse and gentoo have their own commands.

I think it's best if u just stick to distros that use the commands that u are used to, if u swich to something different then u need to learn how to do stuff with the console again.

Thanks linnerd, I'll bookmark them for now. I think I'm going to ditch FC4 on my other partition and install Ubuntu. The mouse movement and such was really choppy anywas :(

MarxSoccer said:
Thanks linnerd, I'll bookmark them for now. I think I'm going to ditch FC4 on my other partition and install Ubuntu. The mouse movement and such was really choppy anywas :(

maybe u just need the vid card drivers installed?

Back
Top Bottom