Random Car Q's

G35x said:
I just need a few awnsers, and Im sure others have some questions, dont mind if you ask them...

Ok, when people get rims, they always say yeah the backs are 245/45/19 or watver...Is 254 the height, 45 is the whith and 19 is??? the inside like how big the rims is??? :confused:

Also, I know a few people who have aftermarket headlights, "projectors" what are so special about projectors, I know you can like change the color of them, is that it?

Also, hid, exeon, those are just normal lights, that are just super bright correct?

TRD, this thread is urs for the taking. ;)

Nexus explained the HID's pretty well. It's just super bright light as you mentioned that last a long time, that's it. The bulb itself uses Xenon gas stored in xenon short arc lamps to produce the ultra bright light which replaces the filaments found in most light bulbs and halogen lamps. HID refers to High Intensity Discharge, which is just a technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. The Projectors is just the housing for the Xenon bulb to reflect the light the correct way and provides even distribution of the light.

As for tire size, 245 is the measure of the tire width from sidewall to sidewall. The 45 is the aspect ratio of the height of the tire's cross section to it's width. 45 means that the height is equal to 45% of the tire's width. The 19 is basically the diameter of the wheel from one end to the other. 19" is pretty large. I like 17's on mine.

Cross drilled rotors are for sport enthusiast. The disc is lightened when drilled or slotted and improves ventilation which increases the disc's ability to get rid of heat, resulting in cooler operating temperatures which is what you want it to do.

Just to add on what TRD said about the brake rotors. When the pads contact the rotors they produce a gas in between the pad and the rotor. Part of the reason for being cross drilled and slotted is to allow that gas to escape and give better braking performance as well as better cooling.

TRDCorolla said:
Nexus explained the HID's pretty well. It's just super bright light as you mentioned that last a long time, that's it. The bulb itself uses Xenon gas stored in xenon short arc lamps to produce the ultra bright light which replaces the filaments found in most light bulbs and halogen lamps. HID refers to High Intensity Discharge, which is just a technical term for the electric arc that produces the light. The Projectors is just the housing for the Xenon bulb to reflect the light the correct way and provides even distribution of the light.

As for tire size, 245 is the measure of the tire width from sidewall to sidewall. The 45 is the aspect ratio of the height of the tire's cross section to it's width. 45 means that the height is equal to 45% of the tire's width. The 19 is basically the diameter of the wheel from one end to the other. 19" is pretty large. I like 17's on mine.

Cross drilled rotors are for sport enthusiast. The disc is lightened when drilled or slotted and improves ventilation which increases the disc's ability to get rid of heat, resulting in cooler operating temperatures which is what you want it to do.

lol you think 19 is big, well I guess its all upon the car, I know someone has 20''s on a 2004 maxima aahaha...Thanks for all the help guys!

I know someone on here got their tC. They would go great with 19's, but anything bigger than that on a regular compact sedan wouldn't be good. Bigger cars can afford to go bigger wheels. My friends told me that I should get wheels too, but they cost too much. Now, I'm looking at an HID retrofit for my car. I saw some really nice kits on ebay. Whew, I was drooling over them. They should come complete with ballist, bulbs, and all necessary wiring and brackets. If not, then they are cheap.

ahah Nexus..Yeah rims are pricy, and there aint no point in getting the cheap kind, might as well wait...

Im happy with my 17's ill upgrade later maybe ill powder coat them to change their color to gunmetal cause im happy with my stocks

TRDCorolla said:
I know someone on here got their tC. They would go great with 19's, but anything bigger than that on a regular compact sedan wouldn't be good. Bigger cars can afford to go bigger wheels. My friends told me that I should get wheels too, but they cost too much. Now, I'm looking at an HID retrofit for my car. I saw some really nice kits on ebay. Whew, I was drooling over them. They should come complete with ballist, bulbs, and all necessary wiring and brackets. If not, then they are cheap.
Oh ive seen a tC with 20's on it, you want to get the retrofin into your OEM headlight unit, isnt it cheaper to get aftermarket headlights with projectors on them cause there are for your gen of corollas. And as for HID kit dont get them on Ebay let me search a page that sells good kits. http://www.oznium.com/hid

G35x said:
And, when people say there rotors are "waarped" what actually happend to the rotar...

since it wasn't entirely specified, rotors will warp due to heat. The metal gets so hot that it begins to loose it rigidity and starts to flex then ends up cooling with a slight bend. Of course, you may have already figured that out. :)

TRDCorolla said:

Just a note on bigger rims. A bigger rim takes away from acceleration. It takes more force to get them moving, therefore taking away from the overall performance of the car. Than, on the flip side, it takes more from your brakes to slow them down and quite often, when people put 20-22-24's on their trucks and leave the stock brakes, they have a tendancy to warp them from increased friction. Now, with a lot of newer cars, there's only so small you can go anyway to clear the brake calipers, but a smaller/lighter rim will make your car perform better.

As for the question about the tires, a 40 series (the sidewall height) will out perform a 60 series and true low profile (I've seen as low as a 30 series) will give you all out performance cause they don't flex when you corner hard. a taller tire will move when cornering hard. You will start to "ride the wall" which means the tire rubber is shifting and you are starting to drive on the sidewall as you are making turns.

I have a 1966 mustang coupe I'm working on restoring and i'm putting 14 inch rims with 195/75R14's. it's not gonna be extremely nimble in sharp turns, but it'll move foward like an SOB! the lighter different componants in your driveline are (starting with the crank, than thru the flywheel, clutch, driveshaft (if RWD), out to the drive tires and including the non-drive tires as you have to get them moving foward too), the quicker you will accelarate. it doesn't increase your top speed, but how quickly you'll get there. The only way to increase your top speed is to change out gears in your transmission and your final drive gear. this is how a car with 250 horsepower can beat a car of similar weight with 500 horse power (kinda, just a slight exaggeration).

Back
Top Bottom