Help me choose a videocard :D

Everything but the 9800 Pro is pretty good. The 9800 Pro was probably one of the best cards of it's time (cost $400 when launched!), but now it's considered pretty ancient.

For $300, some good options are the 7600 GT, 7800 GT, 7900 GT or the X850 XT PE, X1800 GTO, X1800 GTO2, X1800 XT and X1900 GT. Those all fall within the $300 budget. The big part is where your loyalties lie. Do you prefer ATI? Or do you prefer NVIDIA?

Each company has their pros and cons, so there isn't really one "best" one.

from what i have heard, the 7 series is a great set of cards, i am mainly looking at the geforce 7800 but i have no idia about the differend versions of this card, also i have head that some versions of the 7800 have glitches and problems.

Yes the 7800 GT have had its bad times. You just need to make sure you get the updated, fixed, w/e u wana call it, the newer version of the graphics card.

thesinter said:
from what i have heard, the 7 series is a great set of cards, i am mainly looking at the geforce 7800 but i have no idia about the differend versions of this card, also i have head that some versions of the 7800 have glitches and problems.

The 7800 line came in three variants. The 7800 GS is basically a dumbed down version for AGP users. In terms of performance, it's along the lines of the X850 XT PE, but with newer technologies (i.e Shader Model 3.0 etc). The 7800 GT is the lower-end for the PCI-E group of the 7800 line. It has 20 pixel pipelines and 8 vertex shaders. I forgot the clock speed, but it's pretty fast. Relatively cheap price for the performance. Then there is the top-end or the 7800 GTX. It has 24 pixel pipelines and 8 vertex shaders and its very fast. It was the leader of the market for a little bit, until ATI launched the X1800 series.

The 7800 GTX, unfortunately is out of your $300 budget range. If you still want to stick with the 7800 line, your only option is the 7800 GT. Why not the 7800 GS? Because it's more futureproof to convert to PCI-E. Not to mention the higher bandwidth and superior performance.

Yeah, some 7 series cards had some problems a while ago. Mainly because eVGA and XFX pre-overclocked them, and a whole bunch went kooky.

well now that alvino has made everything clear for me i have one question. Is the 7800 GT still a good card even thow it is a "lower-end" version.

Very. It'll be fine for today's games. Don't think that when I say "lower-end" that it sucks, it's still superior to some cards. ;)

Back
Top Bottom