IP Help

BamaFan29891

In Runtime
Hey guys.

This Topic is going to be for some semi-advanced users. I need help with a program and what not.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the program Angry IP Scanner, but I used it recently at school to try and see what all IPs were being used. On some of the returns it gave us "dead--N/S" or "dead--N/A". I looked it up and N/A seems to mean 'not available' while N/S means 'not scanned'. We were using this program because we were going to rearrange properly every teacher/faculty's IP. But on some of the returns it didn't give a host or anything.

I was wondering why it was doing this. One teacher clearly had the IP 'xx.xx.xx.30' but when I looked at the printout from Angry IP it said that it was "Dead--N/S". Does anyone know why it wasn't scanned like many of the others or does anyone know a better program etc?

Our overall goal, like I said, is for us to scan them all... Then be able to see what IPs are taken and which aren't, the ones that are taken... we can see where they are taken... and then lastly start over a new database with the correctly logged IPs.

Also, if it said N/A or N/S... the computer were on... I already thought about the fact that maybe some of the IPs weren't responding because of the computer was shut down or something, but this certain computer was on.

Also, for about 20 of the IPs they are done via router with laptops... It's wireless... Does the router really effect anything?

Any help with settings or new programs etc would help a lot.

Thanks.

Well I have heard of this scaner and used it before and not have this problem.

However, I don't recomend using a ICMP based scanner for networks, I recomend using ARP based scanning.

Now, ettercap is one of the most popular programs to use ARP scanning, however it's unstable on windows based systems. I use Cain & Able from www.oxid.it to scan networks for hosts. The downside to ARP sniffers is that they ONLY can detect computers upto the router, but every computer HAS TO respond to ARP packets.

So with ARP scanning, if you have a network that has many routers, it's bad to use. However with default configuration, routers will pass ICMP traffic.

Should he be asking this, & no, I'm not jumping on him straight away, some calm responses please, you will agree, I'm sure, that anyone trying to find out this sort of info about school computers is a very delicate subject, yes?

He gave his reasoning, Figuring out the automatically assigned ip addresses (I would immagine in a more orderly manner) So that would give the impression this is an assigned project by the administration.

However, I don't really see the problem here. You are using a third party program, is there more information that just which ips are in usage that you want? if all you need to know is which are in usage, simply confirm that they are all on, and check for ping responses to your given set. if you get no response, it is unused. if you get a response, it is used. (BTW: Ping is a connectionless command, and is always replied to if sent. (Unless a break in the network cabling occurs)

Also, If the plans are to just redistribute the ips in an orderly manner.. just give each room xx.xx.xx.1-20, then next room xx.xx.xx.21-45. up to 254 and so on.

#1 just because a subject deals with network discovery does not mean it's hacking. ARP scanning is a harmless thing, as well as other network discovery.

#2 Not everything responds to ping, it's easily possible to turn ping off :)

@Brook
I am like the "student" computer guy there. My teacher for my computer class (which I am the only one in the class because it's like being an assistant) is the head honcho of computers at the school.

@Rest
Well some didn't ping like I said. Some were N/A ("Not Available") and some were N/S ("Not Scanned").

I think I am going to use Able. My teacher said that she used it before to do it.

And yes, we are going to distribute them right. Last time some kids last year who graduated would just try and give themselves IPs for their laptops they brought and would throw stuff out of whack (i.e. IP Conflicts) so we are going to fix that.

Thanks Guys :)

BamaFan2989 said:
@Brook
I am like the "student" computer guy there. My teacher for my computer class (which I am the only one in the class because it's like being an assistant) is the head honcho of computers at the school.

@Rest
Well some didn't ping like I said. Some were N/A ("Not Available") and some were N/S ("Not Scanned").

I think I am going to use Able. My teacher said that she used it before to do it.

And yes, we are going to distribute them right. Last time some kids last year who graduated would just try and give themselves IPs for their laptops they brought and would throw stuff out of whack (i.e. IP Conflicts) so we are going to fix that.

Thanks Guys :)
Sounds a good response from you :D

Back
Top Bottom