I need some help connecting my pc to monitor

xodus8

Beta member
I really dont know a lot about computers. I just got my PC it has a VGA port only. My Monitor has a DVI port and a S video port. I was told there are like converters like VGA to DVI. I am having problems finding on a VGA to DVI converter, can someone please post some links to some converters. Thanks

CBDVI-VGA.gif

That's what you need, the female DVI, would plug into the monitor, and the male VGA, would act as the main connection for the monitor. Just plug the VGA lead, from the video card, to the computer.

joxley1990 said:
CBDVI-VGA.gif

That's what you need, the female DVI, would plug into the monitor, and the male VGA, would act as the main connection for the monitor. Just plug the VGA lead, from the video card, to the computer.

That connector is to plug a VGA monitor in to a DVI port of a graphics card. It won't work.

The reason that DVI to VGA is done with a simple cheap adapter is because DVI is designed to be backwards compatable with CRT displays. The VGA pins are included in the DVI port, there is no acctual signal conversion, it just switches the pins that are being used to the analouge one and acts as an interface for the VGA connection.

VGA however, is on its own. If your monitor is DVI only then there is no way to connect it to the VGA port. You could look for crazy adapter boxes, but to be honest your best bet is to buy a cheap video card with a DVI port.

David Lindon said:
There is not a simple converted because VGA is analogue and DVI is digital

Ive seen plenty, my dads g5 came with a converter.. :confused: :p

Dev0115 said:
Ive seen plenty, my dads g5 came with a converter.. :confused: :p

DVI to VGA adapters are common, they ship with almost every DVI output product. VGA to DVI however is a totaly diffrent thing.

Back
Top Bottom