"Multidisk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows/system32..."

Tragic Hero

Solid State Member
Two things:
1) Is there any way to use an IDE cable HDD on a Serial ATA mobo with only 1 IDE connection? Can 1 IDE cable be used for a DVD-Rom & a HDD using a master/slave combo?

2) When I try and boot in safe mode, what does it mean when the screen gets spammed by "Multidisk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows/system32..."? Is that a result from the stupidity of question 1?

Tragic Hero said:
Two things:
1) Is there any way to use an IDE cable HDD on a Serial ATA mobo with only 1 IDE connection? Can 1 IDE cable be used for a DVD-Rom & a HDD using a master/slave combo?

2) When I try and boot in safe mode, what does it mean when the screen gets spammed by "Multidisk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows/system32..."? Is that a result from the stupidity of question 1?

Yes there is a way. I have one Sata hd, and one IDE which is the slave to my cd drive. Maybe the jumper on your IDE hd isnt set to slave?

I dont know what the spamming means though.

1/. Yes, hdd jumpers set to master (use plug on the end of the cable) rom drive jumpers set to slave (use plug on the middle of the cable)

2/. It could be, basically you'll see lots of DOS as the basic system drivers are loaded

3/. You need to go into the bios, make sure all the drives are recognised (usually under the boot order options is a drives options, move your SATA drive to the top of the list if it is your OS drive), then in the boot order option set your OS drive to first boot so that will need to be first boot. Once set in the bios press F10 to save changes and exit, pc will reboot and load Windows from the OS drive.

This is a new mobo, and I can't find my XP cd right now. Once I do, I'll have to do a repair install. XP is just installed from my HDD though

In that case make your IDE hdd first boot device. Though you'll probably find the #2 from your first post is caused by the new m/board not having had the repair install done yet. There will be no m/board or IDE controller drivers loaded.

EDIT: If you intend to use the SATA drive as the OS drive just install windows there in the first place, don't bother to repair the original install.

windows XP needs SP2 to support SATA drives during installation,
the installation will see the drive and will start to format it for the installation but will not get past that point unless service pack 2 is included in the installation media.

Back
Top Bottom