Maintaining a Webserver

G9

Daemon Poster
So let's say I've built and set up a server... installed the OS... now how would I get it connected to the internet? Sorry to be curt, if you need more details, I'll be willing to clarify. Basically, I'm trying to create my own dedicated server to host my website off.

First, it depends on what type of server you are building, OS wise. Are you installing Linux, and going to run Apache, or Windows with IIS? All the information you want to know about Web servers can be found by doing a google search on Apache- read the documentation. It's a lot involved- and keep in mind that usually your ISP will not like it if the find out....

pctechmike said:
First, it depends on what type of server you are building, OS wise. Are you installing Linux, and going to run Apache, or Windows with IIS? All the information you want to know about Web servers can be found by doing a google search on Apache- read the documentation. It's a lot involved- and keep in mind that usually your ISP will not like it if the find out....
Linux, as most webhosts are. I'm not planning to use my current ISP... how do small independent webhosts do their business?

A lot of small web hosts do one of two things...

they either buy reseller hosting from a much larger company.
I/e space on some one elses server that they can subdivide and sell on to other people.

or they put a machine in a datacenter, so they are effectivly buying shelf space and a fast connection from someone else.

or they have a business package from their ISP that has faster speeds and no download/upload caps.

I'm probably not serious about this :)P) but let's say I want the third one. What major ISP's provide "business packages"? Generally how expensive are they?

what country are you in/

if you are UK, the BT do business packages that are £29.99 per month +VAT Paid quarterly).

then you pay an extra £5 Per month for a static IP address..

That's what their 8Mb package currently retails at, (it's asymetrical 8Mb Downspeed 2Mb upspeed I think) aside from the speed advantages (that are only slight depending on where you are, there are other business capacities... (e.g they don't block port 80 or port 25 so you have webservers/mail servers, there is no caps or limits. and there are a few more perks...)...

*however* it's still cheaper to buy a reseller account or to pay for shelf space in a datacenter where the speeds are better anyway.

I'm in the US. I'm aware those other options are cheaper, but I just want to see how the really private sector works.

The company I work for, is not very big, but has two dedicated T1 connections. On average, we get around 3MB downloads, and 1MB uploads. The company I work for hosts several different Websites (14 as of right now). I think they pay around $1500.00 a month- and I believe this also covers VoIP phones that we have.

For a standard busness connection, you can get away with 1-$200 a month for around 3-8MB downlaods, and 128KB-1MB uploads. This is for your basic home-based business. I've been thinking of building my own server and hosting my own Web site as well, due to my host having problems. If I can remember, I'll PM when I do this, and let you know what it runs me, and what services I get.

Back
Top Bottom