Gallery: Graphics Cards

alvino said:
Yeah, well the 7600 GT hardly uses any power, which is why you see only a few capacitors on the PCB. The X1800 GTO on the other hand, uses a lot of power, so there's more capacitors which take up more space.

The 7600GT uses less power, and still produces better results.

MikeReiner said:
Yeah I know, it makes sense.. Isn't that x1800gto about as fast as the 7600GT? if so wouldn't that make it kinda.. ineffecient?

Same 'class' but the 7600GT beats it by a good margin in price and performance.

MooseMan said:
if u ask me....yup!

i wouldn't be suprised if the 7600GT beat the X1800GTO quite purely and simply. although i don't kno, i'm just guessing

Lol im glad your not surprised. Haha good guess.

ArrizX said:
The 7600GT uses less power, and still produces better results.

Same 'class' but the 7600GT beats it by a good margin in price and performance.

Lol im glad your not surprised. Haha good guess.

They're in the same class, but the margin between the two depends on the application and game.

X-bit Labs said:
The new Radeon X1800 GTO showed its real best in the same applications where Radeon X1800/X1900 based solution have always been strong, i.e. in games requiring fast pixel shader performance especially with enabled full-screen anti-aliasing. The latter effect is very demanding to the memory subsystem, and such feature as 256-bit memory bus width of the newcomer played a very important role here. GeForce 7600 GT with its 128bit memory bus simply couldn't compete with the Radeon X1800 GTO here. As usual, ATI solution yielded to its opponent in OpenGL games or those gaming applications that were optimized for GeForce 6/7 architecture.

Of course, for the $150-$200 price range, I would definately choose the 7600 GT over the X1800 GTO. Once you get into that $200-$250 price range, it's all X1800 GTO. The R520's core simply provides better bandwidth, and ATI's highly efficient Ringbus memory controller gives it that little edge over the 7600 GT. However, the reason why the GTO uses so much power and has a overloaded PCB is because it's basically a cut down X1800 XT. ATI kept it simple by just reducing the number of pipelines, but the PCB was originally designed for high-end solutions. The 7600 GT, however was specially designed for it's price range, which is why nVIDIA was so quickly to lower the price. However, my choice of which card to buy would definately lie on what my budget is, and what games I'm going to play. If you tend to play OpenGL games more, go with nVIDIA. If you're looking to play Direct3D games more, go with ATI. Keep in mind that the GTO can run FSAA and HDR simultaneously, which is a plus if you plan to do so. Also, Avivo is a great decoder and is free compared to nVIDIA's PureVideo which costs $30 extra for the decoder.

X-bit Labs said:
Highs:

* High performance in most applications;
* High performance with enabled FSAA and anisotropic filtering;
* Transparent textures anti-aliasing;
* Great overclocking potential;
* Allows simultaneous use of FSAA and HDR;
* VIVO support;
* H.264 hardware decoding and other HD formats;
* Low power consumption;
* Improved cooling system;
* Dual-link DVI support.

Lows:

* Low performance in OpenGL and a few other applications;
* Few accessories bundled with the card.

alvino said:
If you tend to play OpenGL games more, go with nVIDIA. If you're looking to play Direct3D games more, go with ATI. Keep in mind that the GTO can run FSAA and HDR simultaneously, which is a plus if you plan to do so.
Source based games can run AA and HDR at the same time on my card.. though I think that makes source a minority in that regard.. so I hear anyway.

I don't use AA much, if I run at 1024x768 and the performance is good enough i'll do 2x, but at 1280x1024 or higher or I just don't bother... I don't notice jaggies anymore at that point.

Yeah, the old-school way to reduce jaggies is to jack up the resolution. That's why at 1680x1050, I only need 2x FSAA maximum, because unless I stare at the screen I can hardly notice them there.

alvino said:
Yeah, the old-school way to reduce jaggies is to jack up the resolution. That's why at 1680x1050, I only need 2x FSAA maximum, because unless I stare at the screen I can hardly notice them there.
Yeah, with that monitor it's the old widescreen res you can use I think.. but with a video card like that... not breakin' a sweat.

i still notice on 1280X1024 a little bit so i just use 2x and thats usually good enough for me :D

and arrizX thanks for ze complement on my guess :D

Back
Top Bottom