Athlon 64 4000+ or 64 X2 3800

Well the X2 def. It's a dual cored chip, so it handle more stuff down the road. It's has a bigger intergrated memory controller built in. (It's got L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache 2x512kb compared to the 4000+'s L1 Cache 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache 1MB). Better for all around performance, but it doesn't overclock that great from what I'm hearing.

Is there any difference in the Venice core of my 3700 and the manchester core of the X2? Would it take a bigger PSU to run the X2?

Single-core is okay for now, but you'll definately want dual-core as the market broadens out. Right now, hardly any games are multi-threaded, so it doesn't make too much of a difference.

yeah but you can also run the game on a core while all ur windows stuff is on the other... giving it a full 2.2GHz or 2.4GHZ (cant remember) all to itself

Not exactly. You can set the affinity of one core for a certain app and set the affinity for the other app, but it doesn't run at the full speed. So it wouldn't be exactly the stock speed PER core. Dual-core doesn't work that way.

Ummm, yes it does :rolleyes: You set the affinity for the game you are playing and set the affinity for the DVD burning software. Why wont it run at the full speed? Granted you have 2x2.2Ghz cores running simultaneously. Why cant the computer run then at full speed?

Hmm...not many people know how to set the affinity though. ;)

Heh, just don't want people to think that 2.2Ghz + 2.2Ghz = 4.4Ghz full speed. :p

What I really want a dual-core for, is so I can play a game and host the server at the same time. Total ownage. :D

Back
Top Bottom