What do you guys think?

Jarrett1

Solid State Member
I'm currently building a new computer. What do you guys think of this setup? I don't play much computer games... just everyonce in awhile. I use it more for web design, business, ect. So here is the setup i have so far.

- Diablo Tek Mid-Tower w/ Clear Side -
- NEC DVD Burner/CD Burner -
- Seagate 80GB Hard Drive -
- Creative Labs 5.1 Speaker System -
- 5.1 PCI Sound Card -
- Kingston 1GB RAM -
- Intel Motherboard w/ Pentium D 3.20GHz -
- CPU Cooling Fan -
- 80mm Blue LED Fan -

I'm open to any suggestions you may have.

If I were you, id go with AMD Athlon X2 3800+ instead of Penitum D. They are both dual cores, but AMD is always better. If you wana go with Intel, than go with Core 2 Duo (Conroe), as that it the only Intel processor that beats AMD. The ram looks alright. Also, you should get a video card.

I don't really need the Core 2 Duo... i don't play much games and it would cost a few extra bucks. What kind of video card to you recommend?

I would still recomend u NOT going with Pentium D, unless you're gona OC it like crazy (atleast up to 4Ghz/core) Get Athlon X2 instead. For the video card, id say the GeForce 7600 GT would be enough for a while. When DX10 comes out you can get a better video card. The 7600 GT will play all games on the market right now. Could play F.E.A.R. on atleast medium settings.

What are the advantages of the Dual Core 2 or AMD X2? I rarley play any computer games. Everyonce in awhile i'll play a game on the computer.

Jarrett said:
What are the advantages of the Dual Core 2 or AMD X2? I rarley play any computer games. Everyonce in awhile i'll play a game on the computer.

you can have games run on a core while all your windows stuff runs on the other... giving it a full core for itslef... also some new programs have dual core support allowin it to run better... also if your into going to lan parties you can host the server on one core and run the game on the other and get a zero ping with little or no change in the gameplay... dual cores multitask like crazy... can run virus scans and play games and convert media all at one time without a hiccup

and also on topic, i would recommend a different PSU stock ones usually only last about 3 months of regular use... since the case is 30 bucks and the PSU comes with it iits definately not a good one... sometimes they come DOA anyway or in rare cases can short out ur mobo

Yeah i was planning on upgrading the PSU and i'm getting the Pentium Dual Core 3.20GHz processor. What PSU would you recommend?

Sorry for all the questions.

Don't worry, that Pentium is really a good choice. It's not worse than AMD in my opinion, it's simply different. It'll blow plenty of what AMD has to offer out of the water, anyway. OCZ power supplies are generally pretty good (I have one myself), but really high-quality ones are Seasonic, Antec (depending on what model), and Enermax Liberty PSU's are good as well. I've heard great things about FSP Group PSU's, but I'm not too sure. Apparently, those are the best bang for your buck nowadays.

If your budget allows go with 2b of ram. Adobe in a press release said that they project their next version of Adobe Photoshop (im assuming you either use that or fireworks) will need around just under 1gb of ram. And if you do use fireworks, i'm sure their minimal ram requirments will go up to. If you do use either of those programs for your web design i highly reccomend more ram.

Back
Top Bottom