Have i been conned?!

Right-click My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management, and see if you have any unpartitioned space. Make sure the drive is connected. I'm not sure if it will show up, though, since it is external. Did it come with drivers that you just haven't installed or are there any drivers for it on the web?

i've just run a program from the seagate website that sets up my hard drive for me. The drive still shows up as 127gb. Any other ideas guys?

well i have a 200 GB hard drive that came with my eMachines but it only shows up as 187 GB but thats because i have a recovery protion in there and i think windows needs a couple of gigs to start up if i'm not correct.

tobias123 said:
i've just run a program from the seagate website that sets up my hard drive for me. The drive still shows up as 127gb. Any other ideas guys?

Look at Jamxx's post, number 11

Jamxx said:
Right-click My Computer, select Manage, select Disk Management, and see if you have any unpartitioned space. Make sure the drive is connected. I'm not sure if it will show up, though, since it is external. Did it come with drivers that you just haven't installed or are there any drivers for it on the web?

also there might be 30 gigs or w/e unallocated. check for that too..but dont use all of the unallocated, leave like a gig..

You usually lose a few GB from certain partitions and the way they format it. My 120GB HDD reads as 112GB max.

I remember Western Digital got sued over something like this. Some guy filed a lawsuit about how they didn't label it properly, so now any Western Digital customers can recieve a free copy of their Dantz Retrospect Back-Up software as compensation.

Ronco Rox said:
well i have a 200 GB hard drive that came with my eMachines but it only shows up as 187 GB but thats because i have a recovery protion in there and i think windows needs a couple of gigs to start up if i'm not correct.
I thought emachines still gave restore CD's oh bummer :( I had an emachines before I got my current PC and it had 2 restore CD's. I like CD's better than the partitions because the partitions can get messed up, and deleted which is what happened to me.

back to the thread: my old HDD was a 160GB and it showed up as 127GB I think and I never knew why, it came with SP2 and the computer was built in march of 06. I think maybe something was bad with it but I don't know, it was also a seagate too but it was internal.

if you start your machine and press delete to enter the bios what is the reported size there?

it could be that your BIOS can't handle a drive that large.
or it could be that the update for large disk support has't been installed on windows.

wouldnt that fact that the HDD companys do this, be considered false advertising?

Back
Top Bottom