Advice on upgrading an old machine with a student budget

Katmarauder

Solid State Member
So firstly, hi all *waves*

I'm looking to upgrade my computer. I'm using it mostly for gaming (but I accept that the latest games are most likely beyond my reach). I apologise for the patchy info, I'm not connected to the internet at home so I found it difficult to get information on what parts it has already.

It's an emachines 570, bought in the UK about 4-5 years ago by parents in more computer-naive times. I found this info about it on a forum:

eMachines, Inc. Imperial Revision 0.90
Board: TriGem Computer, Inc. Imperial 1.01
BIOS: Phoenix 6.00 09/12/2002
2.00 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Intel(r) 82801DB/DBM/DA AC '97 Audio Controller
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 [Display adapter]

In addition, it has 512MB of DDR RAM, upgraded from 256MB. I'm using Windows XP Professional. The power supply was changed after it burnt out, but that was done by a friend so I'm not sure whether it was upgraded or just replaced.

What would be a cost-effective way of getting more performance? I definately can't afford a new computer. Is ebay a good idea for parts, or is it too risky?

Thanks

Oh my.... it really isn't worth upgrading that computer... but try to get a better graphics card, that is the first thing I would suggest. Then see if you can maybe get a better processor.... what is your budget?

how much can u spend?
Is the current vid card agp or pci?
If pci then there probably isn't an agp slot which means that u can't really get a better vid card without upgrading the mobo. And then upgrading the mobo would mean upgrading the cpu too.

If it's agp then get a decent agp card, no point in getting a high end agp card since the cpu will be bottlenecking it. But I'd just save more money and get a new computer when u can afford it.

I have no idea whether it's AGP or PCI but given that the comp was bought from a certain well-known UK PC superstore, I'm not terribly hopeful.

I'll have a look tonight and get back to you.

I have about £60 to spend. All is not lost if I can't upgrade, as I can buy a playstation 2 for that price, persuade my boyfriend that he really, really wants to play with it and then 'borrow' his PC...

Katmarauder said:
I have about £60 to spend. All is not lost if I can't upgrade, as I can buy a playstation 2 for that price, persuade my boyfriend that he really, really wants to play with it and then 'borrow' his PC...

well thats a nice back up plan. I just hope u are good at persuading him since it probably won't be easy to make him want to play with a ps2 instead of a pc.

But with £60 u could get a decent agp vid card. It would help a lot when gaming. How many watts does ur power supply have?

mammikoura said:
well thats a nice back up plan. I just hope u are good at persuading him since it probably won't be easy to make him want to play with a ps2 instead of a pc.
You're right, and he thinks consoles are silly :( I could hide his coffee, he would look for it until he found it and when it's on the roof...

I'll take a look at the power supply too when I open it up today.

Go for like an FX5500 or something... I don't think your computer can handle much more than that, but it will give you OK performance on some games, with settings on low.

The power supply should be fine...

what games are you actually hoping to play?
it might be that you want to play a game that is already withint the current capabilities of your machine...

Back
Top Bottom