switch out

CompMan

Fully Optimized
OK,

Down at my step-dads shop he has a POS computer just used for like taking in orders and all that BS. But anyway, he just got another computer for his designing, his old one he was using for his designing is a pentium 4..so heres the question if he switches out the mobo and processor from his old design computer to his junk account computer will it work without refommating windows and not loosing anything..o yea by the way the accouting computer is a celeron, i dont know the socket, and the processor that he wants to put in along w. the mobo is a pentium 4, also dont know the socket

and before a switch out everything I'm going to uninstall the drivers for the mobo and all that in device manager.

thanks

If you take everything out of one case, and place it in another, you shouldn't loose anything. If it's an older P4, it's a socket 478. If it's a newer P4, it's socket 775 (pinless). Celeron also was socket 478. If you're moving the motherboard and all components from one case to another, do not take the heatsink and fan off the processor. If you do, or already have, you will need to clean the thermal paste off, and place new on. Once you break the seal, you could have heating issues, especially with a P4. Good luck.

If the computer is running XP you won't be able to just put in a new mobo and cpu, it won't let you, you'd have to reformat.

Ok thanks,

I got it to work, if you care, i just put the hdd in the other computer booted up and did a repair on Windows. Everything is working great thanks.

Sure, we do care, we like it when people post their solutions that worked for them. It helps for other people that might be having the same problem you are having.

Glad it worked out for you.

Back
Top Bottom