Repairing my display device

jscott

Baseband Member
Display device delted, can't access XP

Alright, I'm trying to fix a problem that I'm having with WoW. Going through WoW tech support, I'm told to remove my device drivers and reinstall them. Alright, will do. I got to Device manager -> display -> double click my card-> drivers -> uninstall -> reboot. When I reboot though, I'm getting a "CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE" message. So I go into safe mode, but I get the same message. It might be worth mentioning that I always got the message for safe mode BEFORE this happened, but I wanted to try again. Anyway, I use the repair utility with my Windows XP disk hoping that will fix it, and it goes through the whole process, but after it is done, I still get the message.

I was told to try removing my video card and placing it in another slot, but my motherboard only has two slots for video cards, and the other one looks like it might only be for a second video card, not just a single one. Besides, I can't figure out how to get the card out.

Anyway, does anyone have some solutions? If I could just get into XP it'd all work out, but I can't, obviously.

Anyone? I can't even access my computer right now, I'm having to write on a laptop. Also, I'd rather not pay $25 to the local PC club to do it for me.

no thats not onboard video, onboard video is the video driver that comes with the motherboard, external video or what ever you want to call it goes into the motherboard slots. (PCI, AGP, or PCI-E)

open up your case when the computer is off and take out your video card from your motherboard. turn on the computer and see if it gives you the same error message. if it doesn't and goes to your desktop and everything is huge, put your video card back in and reinstall it.

This might be a stupid question, but if I have my video card out, where do I plug my monitor into?

in the back of the computer, you should see a blue connector thingy poking out.
Untitled-1.jpg

that blue video connector, put the monitor cable in there.

i know your computer is a different model and the location of the video adaptor is going to be different, but this is just to show you what to look for.

Ah, I see what you mean. Unfortunatelly, both my monitor plug and that plug have "outie" teeth, and I don't have an adapter for that kind.

So I take it that I'm doomed to dishing out $25. *sigh*

hmm thats very strange that both plugs are male. well just try taking out the video card and putting it back in and see what happens.

Did that, same resault, I'm afraid.

One more thing that's been worrying me, though.

I used the windows XP disk to perform the repair utility. Not the repair control panel, but the one where you sign the agreement and everything. Anyway, I go through that, and it comes to an end. Now I THOUGH it said that it had sucesfully completed it's install, but it's possible that I misread, because every time I boot now, I get a blue screen that says "setup is being restarted........................." for a few seconds before it goes back to the "CANNOT DISPLAY THIS VIDEO MODE". So I tried running the repair utility again, and it told me that I had already done so. I went ahead anyway, but at the end, it told me that the installation had failed.

But why am I getting the "setup is being restarted" message? It's kind of scaring me. I hope to god that I didn't accidentally wipe my HDD...

Back
Top Bottom