college laptop

usagimasurao

Beta member
hey i'm searching for my college laptop now and i'm looking for something that'll run games pretty decently. i currently only play AA but maybe i'll buy some other ones w/my comp like HL2 or BF2, so something getting good fps is a pretty big selling point.

i recently bought this from costco:
http://www.costco.com/CTO/HPConfigurator.aspx?Prodid=10029570&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&model=EX203AV

w/the 1.83 ghz, 2 gb ram, and intel integrated graphics (128 shared)

but i really wanna change it since we only bought it cuz of hte price (1k)

so i was wondering if this would be better:
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do

w/1.73 ghz (does .1 ghz make that much difference?), 1 gb ram, 256 mb nvidia GO 7600

i know the graphics card is better, but will a decrease in the other components make it better to just keep what i have?

any suggestions about other comps would be great, but i think my parents are only willing to buy from a major brand like hp, dell, etc

i really only want this to run AA and maybe BF2 pretty well...also i know the system req for the new UE 3.0 aren't out yet, but would either system have a chance at running any next gen type games?

btw my price limit is around 1300-1400

Well...I don't know as much about laptops' hardware as I do desktops', but I found one that seems to be good at Cyberpower. Here are the specs, copied.

CPU: Intel® Core™ Duo T2500 Dual-Core Processor @ 2.0GHz 667FSB 31W 2MB L2 Cache
MOTHERBOARD: Intel 945PM + ICH7M Chipset Mainboard
MEMORY: 2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2-667 SODIMM Memory (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD: Mobile NVIDIA GeForce GO 7600 256MB PCI-E Video
HARD DRIVE: 120GB 5400RPM SATA150 HARD DRIVE
OPTICAL DRIVE: 8X DVD REWRITABLE DRIVE
SOUND: BUILT-IN AC 97 SOUND

(you'll have to configure it on the website, it doesn't come that way)
for $1387, free shipping. They didn't have 7200RPM hard drives available in the configurator; maybe a 5400 will get the job done. I don't know if the battery will be sufficient, and it doesn't come with a mouse for that price. You might want to get some opinions from other people first.
if you want a link: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ntbkx54800.asp?v=d#configurator_top
btw, the second link you posted didn't work for me, it said "Due to the tremendous response to this series, this page has become temporarily unavailable." Just wanted to let you know.

*off topic* I'm doing a lot of links to other sites to try to help people, if this is considered advertising please let me know, but I'm just trying to help out.

1 gig will suffice for most games out there, though in BF2 you wont be able to max it out, but thats ok since it's a laptop. that intel integrated is crap, it can't game if it's life depended on it, the .1ghz wont hurt you as much as it would to stick to that intel graphics, I would go for the one with the nvidia go 7600. My friend has a laptop with a 1.7ghz intel pentium M, 1 gig of ram, and a geforce go 6600, it runs BF2 and HL2/CSS with good performance.

As for the new UE 3.0, I wouldn't be too worried about it. you might need to turn down the settings a little bit when the time comes, but it should be ok.

hmmm sorry bout the link not working...dunno whats wrong, but its pretty much the same as the first one, just w/the changes i described

btw, you recommended the cyberpower and i would love to buy stuff off of them, but i doubt my parents would go for it cuz its pretty much unknown to them...so any info about their support n such would be helpful

in addition to this can any1 recommend a decent mouse? i was looking at the mx1000 and it seems damn nice but pretty pricey so if any1 can suggest anything else that'd be good

the mx1000 is a wireless one isn't it? I've never used it so.. I use a mx510 wired, it's a logitech :p

yeah its wireless...but not optical...like a laser or something? idk it usually sells for like 85 but now its on sale at comp usa for 40

any help w/the support from cyberpower?

Well, a few of my friends have ordered desktops from them and are very pleased. As for support, I don't really know what to say. Here's quoted from their services page,
" All CyberPower computer systems come with a 3 year limited warranty and free lifetime labor and phone support. CyberPower Inc. provides the highest quality computer solutions and guarantees customer satisfaction. Our support staff are highly trained. We are capable of accurately diagnosing your computer hardware or software related problem."

Also, a testimonial page

Uhh...an awards page?

I don't really know what else you want/need.
Just some extra stuff...
About Cyberpower
Contact Cyberpower

I can guarantee you that they're trustworthy, but if your parents don't comply, so be it. In the case that they don't, to answer your question, I think it would definitely be better to get a GeForce Go 7600 and sacrifice .1GHz and a gig of ram if you're going to be gaming.

btw, the mx1000 would be a great mouse, especially for $40. it's a laser mouse, supposed to be a lot more precise and smooth plus it's wireless. battery life may be short for it, not sure though, may want to check before buying

mmm thx for the help...i'm not sure the battery life will be that much of an issue...from the reviews i've heard its lastiing people about 3 weeks per charge

can't help you on the laptop but I have used a MX1000 for quite a while and absolutely love it. I will never buy a wired mouse again. When your done for the night just put it on its little station and you never have to worry about it going dead, and you don't have to buy batteries.

Back
Top Bottom