Core 2 Duo Heatsink

PapoJR

Baseband Member
I want to know if any cpu fan/heatsink that is "lga 775" compatible, even if it doesn't say "conroe" or "core 2 duo" will be work fine with the core 2 duo? Can you guys recommend me some great fan/heatsinks?

Thermalright SI-128, Thermalright Ultra 120, Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Scythe Ninja, Tuniq Tower, Noctua NH-U12 (good luck finding that one) Zalman 9500.

Just as long as it's compatible with the LGA775 layout, it'll work. Intel stuck with the same old 4 hole design.

Not as handy though. Taking the motherboard and drilling though the motherboard tray is WAY too annoying, especially if you're a reviewer that tests several different heatsinks.

If you ask me, the Socket 939 retention bracket is good enough. Better than AM2's, because even though it's not as strong as AM2's retention bracket, it doesn't make every waterblock look like crap.

Remember though, my Cathar Storm G4 is bolt through ;) Its not using the clip mechanism.

Well if your retention bracket is screwed to a metal backplate, just unscrew it. Take out the bracket and use the screws that come with your waterblock. They'll screw directly to the metal backplate. Nice and simple. :)

I dont think there is a metal backplate for the LGA775, as it uses a 4 hole mounting system where there is even presssure throughout the area of the mount. Thats why its better than a 2 hole mounting system.

I don't like how the LGA 775 fans are so wide open.. if you don't clean the wires up all nicely they can easily get caught in the fan.

The stock fan was garbage for me, it couldn't cool a presocott if it's life depended on it. 63C idle was a tad warm, so I bought a nice gigabyte fan (can't remember the model # off the top of my head) that keeps it at around 49C.. if that thing can keep a prescott of all things at an acceptable temp, i'm sure it would do perfectly fine on a core 2 duo conroe.

Luckly, I was able to throw away my stock Intel S478 fan. It went up to 88-93C with a speed clogged at 2000ish RPMS. The fan controller I bought screwed it up. A generic Heatink (Thermal pad removed) was cooler than anything else. It was between 49-55C idle and load was 55-60.

Until I got the case which put my CPU to 44-49C idle and load 50-58C, it was good. But stupid me had to OC it, and CPU temp were fine. Northbridge...ouch!

back on topic, anything saying LGA775 will work, regardless of the CPU.

Back
Top Bottom