New RAM caused boot failure

jscott

Baseband Member
First off, I'll direct you all to this thread: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=42262. For reference, here is the motherboard and RAM that I am using:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130492R
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220033

Completely compatible. But when I removed my old RAM and inserted this, I immediatelly got a SYSTEM BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER message. Not good. So I replace my old RAM, and get the exact same message. I can't boot with either RAM now. So I insert my system disk and it starts installing drivers. Later on though, it comes to a blue screen which says:

The folowing list shows existing partitions and unpartioned space on this computer.

To set up XP on these items, press enter.
To creat partitions in unpartitioned space, press C.
To delete these partitions, press D.

Unknown Disk
There is no disk in this drive (repeated 3 times)

So far, I've pressed enter and a directional key, but both times I got a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" bluescreen of death.

Anybody know what the hell is going on with my computer? :(

Atomic Rooster said:
Try going into the BIOS and making sure the DIMM voltage is set to 2.60V.

DIMM voltage? Not exactly sure what DIMM is, but if that is the same as the "memory voltage" option, than yes, I just set it at 2.60v, yet it still gives me boot failure.

Or is DIMM something else entirely?

did you try clearing your CMOS

1) Take the side off ur case

2) Theres 3 ways to do this... There is battery on your motherboard that is ur CMOS battery... next to it there will either be a 3 prong jumper with the jumper on the left two pins, if thats the case switch the jumper to the 2 right pins (the middle one will still be jumped leave it for a minute or so then put it back, or on somer motherboards there is a button next to the battery just press that... the last way is to just take the battery out completely (its not that hard) and let it sit for about a minute or so and put it back in (Make sure the PC is unplugged while ur doing one of those steps)

3) Start Up ur computer...youre gunna need to set the time and date again in ur bois... and if u did any overclocking it might get rid of it (not sure)

Thanks Bob, I'll try that. I know I've done it before, I just have to find the little thing now.

No you got it right. I wasn't sure what it would be called, DIMM voltage, memory voltage.

Hmm... the "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" is usually a memory problem. Have you tried the memory in different slots?

Rooster- I tried switching them around, but no sucess.

Bob- Even though I've done it before, I can't locate my CMOS. I don't see how it could have possibly done so, but all I can think is that it fell off somehow. But if it fell off, would my computer even be working?

No, it wouldn't work. There has to be a battery on the motherboard somewhere. I just checked the picture, and the battery is at the very bottom of the board in the direct middle. Just take that sucker out and leave it out as suggested. Maybe a PCI card is covering it up.

For some reason it is a little red button now.... the computer repair place that I took my PC to a long time ago must have changed it when they changed my CPU. Anyway, I pressed the button, but I'm still getting the boot failure.

But wait, did you mean the entire BATTERY? Not the jumper, but the large, round silver battery? Alright, I'll take that out for a bit I guess.

One more thing. When booting, I've noticed that, before the failure, there's a "BOOT FROM CD:" command that comes up. I've tried to go around this by going into the boot selection, but for some reason I can't access that. All I can do is choose to boot form the hard drive, among other things, and the hard drive boot goes to the same failure.

Alright, who's the smartass who unplugged my SATA cable while I was installing my new RAM?

Yes, it was that simple. Lesson learned today? Don't be an idiot and accidentally unplug cables.

Back
Top Bottom