Which wireless router??

troy272 said:
you just plug in one of the adapters somewhere near a router, or at least close enough to get a cable from the adapter into the router. Then you just take the second adapter and plug it into the wall wherever you want it, then run the ethernet cord into your computer, that's it. They cover like 5000 feet I think which is pretty good and they're fast except the transfer rate between two computers on mine is only 14MBPS so downloading a 4GB file from another computer on my network can take a long time but otherwise they're great.

so it not exactly wireless...?

DirtBikeRidr said:
so it not exactly wireless...?
nope it's not wireless but you can use it anywhere you want. I like that vs. wireless because the wireless router I had interfered with everything and it wasn't secure no matter what I put on it, people still leeched off of it.

DirtBikeRidr said:
Awsome, i might look into that, and you square footage is the almost the same as the house i'm moving into. So thats great. Do you get signal throughout the house? the router is most likely goin to be in the middle of my house.
sorry to post so late, I do get a signal in my entire house
pretty much a 250 foots range around my house :D

ya. those things go pretty far. my dad took his laptop out (we have a linksys wrt54g) to the mailbox past the driveway and he still got a decent signal.

I have 2 desktops and a laptop wired through the linksys wrt54gs. Unfortunately, using the software is a recipe for disaster...along with the PUSH to sync button. Window's XP can easily setup the other comps on the network, just keep ur WPE key handy.

You could always turn an old Pentium PC with two free PCI slots into a router/firewall. If you use the floppy distribution of Freesco, it's almost indestructible. After all, even if they hack in, how are they going to save configuration changes to a write-protected disk?

Obviously, this is only for the networking hobbyists among us. Otherwise, I would probably recommend Linksys, mostly because it is owned by Cisco. And Cisco products generally have a good reputation.

ceannfeachd said:
You could always turn an old Pentium PC with two free PCI slots into a router/firewall. If you use the floppy distribution of Freesco, it's almost indestructible. After all, even if they hack in, how are they going to save configuration changes to a write-protected disk?

You got any more info on doing this? Links etc. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom