Linux boot troubleshooting (Xubuntu)

MikeReiner

Golden Master
For some reason, my old computer:
Intel Pentium III 866MHz
384MB PC100 RAM
MSI 815e Motherboard

will NOT boot linux, it just down right refuses. My friend's PC does the same thing, and it has the same chipset as mine.. every other computer i've tried linux on has had no problems at all.. it's a matter that when I put the CD in, it starts to boot, but when it gets to mounting file system it just freezes and never continues.. (i'm referring to the XUbunuth distro).

What do you guys think?

Are you refering to the Dapper release? And have you tried this same CD on other computers or just you and your friend's PC? Do you have any USB devices connected when you boot?

There are no USB devices, I have tried this CD on many different computers (about 5 or so) and with every computer that didn't have an 815e chipset it worked. My old computer and my friend's computer have the same problem, and the only similarites between them really is the CPU and the motherboard chipset.

And yes, Dapper Drake 6.06.

PseudoEvolution said:
Odd. Best thing to do is post on the Ubuntu community forums.

yeah that will probably be the easiest way to find the answer.
But before u do it just check if u chipset is supported by the OS.

Some OS's just dont like some chipset's for instance VISTA didnt like mine, so I havent been able to play with it.

rakedog said:
Have you tried other Linux Distros on your box?
Slackware, Fedora Core4, and GeeXBox - all of which crash upon loading. However.. ubuntu live 5.04 works.... dunno why...

It'l just be your chipset then. Must be one of the only ones in the world it doesnt like!

Back
Top Bottom